𝟏𝟔. 𝐅𝐞𝐞𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐜𝐨𝐨𝐧𝐬.

AN/ it's been over a year,
so for those of you who will read this
thank you, I appreciate you deeply.

❛ I still feel the chill
As I reveal my shame to you
I wear it like...a tattoo ❜

OCTOBER 12

OCTOBER 12 . 1987 . OSAKA
OMNISCIENT

"And this is it, I can't wait to listen to these new records I got. Bye!" Imani waved at the camera set right in front of her face, the illusion of a smile fading from her lips.

"And cut! Honey, could you do this again—but with a bit more...enthusiasm?" The man who stood behind the camera advised her, slightly lost at the future star's lack of participation.

Imani and the MTV crew were gathered in front of a record store located in the middle of a pluvial Osaka. They filmed her as she shared the albums that shaped her, while impulsively picking up Japanese City Pop records she'd check out later on.

With the growing keen interest in Imani, due to her performances with Michael as well as her now public relationship with him, she found herself lost in endless promo appearances. The problem? Imani had nothing to promote. Speaking to journalists about her experience opening Michael's shows was exciting at first, but had quickly become more than redundant after a few interviews—making them less...and less fun to partake in.

As Derek walked up to her and reapplied powder on her cold cheeks, Alek brushed back her ginger hair, the director adding another instruction. "And instead of saying 'records' could you say 'joints'? It'll make you sound cooler, you know what I mean? More hip!"

Subtly rolling her eyes, Imani nodded, before focusing on the largest, most treacherous grin she could plaster on her face, as they reshot the final scene. When everything was finally over, she took the time to thank and say goodbye to each member of the filming crew, before being ushered inside the car by Will, her bodyguard.

Imani and her manager James sat quietly in the backseats, the girl being too focused counting the drops of rain running down her window so she could stay awake. She told everyone that she was just a bit tired, but that was far more than an euphemism on her part. Imani was worn out, both physically and mentally, which was to be expected with the restless rhythm of a tour. However, there was one thing Imani did not see coming; she felt lonely.

"You'll probably get...an hour or so to rest after your before heading to sound check. Oh—and you'll have to answer a couple of questions to this Japanese music magazine." James informed, glancing at his watch then at her. " 'Kay with that?"

Suppressing a sigh, she nodded, mouthing a 'sure'. James however, sighed out loud, running his hand over his face. "Imani, you've been out of it for days now. And I know you enough to see that the issue is bigger than you needing a good night of sleep."