Chapter 33 • Earth to Gray

Start from the beginning

Oh. I blink a few times as I try to hold back the fear spreading on my face. I'm afraid I'm going to hurt him. Imagine someone you love decided to leave you, only to find a peaceful life miles away from you. I don't want Grayson to get that kind of expression.

Then a memory pops in my head. I smirk and he frowns at me, his soft lips pouting. I remember how soft those are... "You called me a Prescott bitch."

Grayson shakes his head at me, probably cursing me in his mind for bringing that up. If being with him means I get to tease him for such a great acting, I'd gladly take it. It's like having a very hot boyfriend and my subject to all my pranks as a bonus.

"I'm sorry, by the way," he says and he is blushing. My hand goes straight to my back pocket trying to fish out my phone. I want to capture this reddish Grayson.

"You're such a great actor," I push even more and he gets even redder.

"I had to, okay? That's why Austin and Jace were so derailed when I did that. I hate it but I had to do it," he explains and I wouldn't just ignore that name drop.

Hiding and lying to my face was easy for me to spot but covering the entire lie by the mere fact of me coming from the rival school and becoming that sadistic and emotionless freak was a stroke of genius. I mean, I wouldn't be able to tell that everything that has been happening around me that time was because I had and amnesia and they are protecting me from the unknown. All I know is that they're hiding something and they are afraid of me because I turned heartless and I was raised in Prescott.

I raise my hand, palm facing him. "Hold up, you had to?"

Grayson nods. "That's how we started. That's how we met! I shoved you against the lockers on our very first day so I thought if I do that...."

"I'll bump my head real hard and it might shake my dormant brain," I continue his sentence and he laughs.

"Well, yeah. All you need is a little head smash," he agrees.

"So I'm guessing Jace and Austin knew the reason why you did that. They were so angry at you not because you push a girl or their bestfriend against the lockers but because they knew you're trying to resurface my memories back," I conclude.

His face darkens. I know that I have touched a very complicated subject, something he's not very fond of telling me voluntarily.

"Since day one, you've been trying to reach me. Real or not real?" I ask as an attempt of lightening up the mood.

"Real," he replies. "I can't do it often but every now and then, I try."

There's been an awful dead silence between us. Silence after a conversation means we're both pondering.

"So Prescott?" he returns back to our previous subject and I grimace. I tried to divert his attention but he really wants to know. "What's with Clark?"

I suddenly snort, a very unlady-like sound, followed by a short chuckle. "Couldn't you be anymore of a jealous boyfriend?"

"Oh great. Keep teasing me and I might smash that annoying face of him on the field," he says in between clenched teeth.

"Easy, tiger," I say. It's entertaining to see him this primal but Clark is a very dear friend and Grayson has to know that. "Well, let me put it this way... if you and him met in a different circumstances where I'm good and we're both from the same school, I think he'll be your friend."

"You think so?" the sound of despise is evident and I can't help but chuckle again.

"Oh I know so," I retort.

Clark is the kind of person who is best suited to be everybody's wingman. He is everyone's friend and he is as annoying as Grayson. I liked that boy but not in a romantic way. He's been there for me and remained as my neutral ground.

"And since we're on that subject, you have to be careful during the games," I warn him. "I didn't know that there was something going on between us but Prescott smelled that."

          "You're worried about me, Gold?" he teases and I scoff.

          "Worried that I might end up saving you from anything that could wound up your oversize ego," I retort.

          He places his hand on his chest and feigns being hurt. "I'm a big boy. I can handle myself."

          "Oh trust me, they won't be coming after you. They will come after me to get to you," I spill and his smile drops. He doesn't say a word. He just suddenly drifted far away that I couldn't reach him. I hate to be the one to drag him out of his reverie and insist that we continue our healthy conversation. So I prefer to wait.

          Then my eyes zeroed on his arms. They're shaking but he's doing his best to contain it. I look up to his face and he turns around.

          "Gray?" He fishes out a cigarette and a lighter in his pocket and I scowl. "Oh no no no you won't!"

          "Just..." he stops me as he stands up, getting ready to bolt through the doors of my dad's hospital room. "I just need some air. I'll be back."

          "What a fresh air you need," I made sure my tone is pure annoyance so that he knows I have zero tolerance on cigarette smoke.

          The bad boy just bows his head down and strides outside leaving all alone with my dad who's been uncharacteristically uninvolved. He loves jumping into other people's conversation.

          What the hell did I say that made him bolt out?

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

That's it for now! Let me just reread my works and drafts ✨ — I've been gone for a loooooong time.

Really grateful to those who're still reading TRBB & Unleash the Beast 🩷

My husband—yes, I am married now!!!—and I moved out of Australia to start a different life in another country. I have loads of spare time. I might use it to finish TRBB.