His words only infuriate me more. I'm not slumming and this isn't a phase. I've never felt that way with Riley. She's so much more than he is giving her credit for. She's tenacious and ambitious, fearless and vivacious.

I can't wait to see her shove it in his face.

I know Riley's the kind of person who will prove that she can do anything she puts her mind to. And when some asshole says she can't do it, Riley will prove them wrong. We're alike there. No one can tell me that I can't do something.

But I need her to understand that he's dead wrong and I want her, no one else. From the look in her eyes I've got my work cut out for me. That's okay though. She's worth fighting for even if it costs me my father.

Cupping Riley's face, I rest my forehead to hers and try desperately to block out my dad's words. Closing my eyes, I keep her in my hold, her breath slowly begins to match my own. Exhaling in sync, I open my eyes and stare into hers. No, I'm not wrong. I know we have a connection that my dad can't understand.

I see the fear in her eyes. Those big eyes questioning everything we've found together. I won't let him ruin this for me. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me. She's perfect for me and I'm ready to admit that to myself and her.

"Riley, don't listen to him. I want you, not Leighton. He created this stupid deal for me to marry her. I didn't know anything about it. I don't want to marry her ever. I want you, I need you, Riley please, please don't give up on me." Her little hands wrap around my forearms. Holding onto me and nodding with unshed tears glistening in her eyes.

My thumbs graze over her chin, stroking lightly over her lips while those deep wondrous eyes search mine. Memorizing every feature of her face, not just what she looks like but how soft her skin is, how deep those eyes are.

My eyes drop to her mouth and I admire the way her mouth bows up like she always has a smile on her face. The soft pink of her lips has darken as she nibbles at her bottom lip worrying about all of this. If I had my way I'd be nibbling on her lips myself. But instead I have to wait, giving her the chance to choose what she wants.

Those emotional eyes tell it all. Her frustration, her hurt, and her desire to know the truth. As she looks up into my face I know her eyes are looking for answers in my own. An answer I'm finally ready to give her.

She's looking for the truth. I know her well enough now that I know she's going to make her own decisions. She's looking at me to find the truth. And she'll find it, I'm wearing my emotions right out on my sleeve. I know she's going to see I'm being completely honest with her. My dad, however, isn't.

"I don't want to hold you back or embarrass you because of my background." Her voice is shaky and is as unsure as I've ever seen her.

Shaking my head, denying everything that's coming out of her mouth. I stop her worry when I kiss her hard. Putting everything I feel into this one kiss. "Never." I whisper against her lips and meet her soft anxious lips again. "Never, baby. I want you by my side for it all. Only you."

"You're only going to ruin her life and your own. Have you not learned anything from your mother and I? We made a huge mistake insisting on being together against your grandfather's wishes. But I was young and foolish enough to think Chloe could handle this life. I fought for her too until I couldn't do it anymore. Eventually, I saw that my father was right." I'm appalled to hear these words uttered by my own father. He disgusts me.

Taking hold of Riley's hand, I keep a tight grip on her when I turn to face him. "I'm not you. I'm not living your life or making your mistakes. I'm keeping the girl I'm falling in love with. I'll have her by my side and make sure she knows how important she is in life and that I love her and want her. Just like Uncle Blake does for Emma."