Chapter 26: Running

Jared

I've been walking and running for hours now along the river with the girl in my arms.

She's sleeping now but earlier she was trembling and whimpering and I worried that she would attract the attention of the wolves all over the woods but so far our luck held strong and none came.

I started jogging again but before I could go far the girl placed a hand on my chest and groaned out something.

"Sorry kitten what was that?"

She mumbled again and I leaned in closer to hear her.

"Stop..."

I shivered at hearing her voice and slowed down immediately until I came to a complete stop.

She breathed out a sigh and I smiled at how cute it was but the smile was swiped from my face when I heard a 'snap' come from the woods a yard away from the river. My head swiveled towards it and I saw a shadow run between the trees.

It was all clay and sand down here and leading back up to the woods it became dense with vines and roots from large trees.

I saw another shadow run through the trees in the opposite direction of the first one and I dropped onto the clay floor and listened carefully.

Abruptly a wolf appeared in front of me and the girl and snarled down at us menacingly.

I jumped up and my only thought was to protect my mate.

I snarled back at it and allowed my fur to shimmer and appear, standing on end then molding back into my skin again.

I bared my fangs and growled authoritatively at the wolf. It took a step back and looked uncertain for a moment before it snarled and jumped at me.

I dodged it easily and it landed back on the ground on its paws and spun in the clay and sand to face us again.

I growled and he growled back. I couldn't fight right now with my mate in my arms and I couldn't put her in danger.

I looked at her desperately and longingly then back at the wolf before me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liam

I watched as he looked at Sara in desperation and longing then look back at me in determination he set the girl down behind him then faster than I could imagine anyone in my life he shifted in seconds leaving me shocked and terrified.

I knew it was unusual for someone to be able to make their fur shimmer then mold back into skin again and this just shows me that this wolf here was very powerful and dangerous.

But my mission was to being Sara back to the house safely.

I was staring at a completely black wolf with glowing cerulean eyes and he was snarling at me. His power emanated off of him and I cowered in front of him.

Backing away slowly I looked for a reproach to get Sara but before I could even think I felt jaws close around my throat and my jugular was ripped out of me. I was succumbing to the pain and numbness when I saw him through bleary eyes, shift back and pick the girl back up running away with her.

Soon I couldn't see or feel anything at all and I was beckoned by the moon goddess. I faded out of the real world to the spirit world slipping away so easily. I didn't know death would be like this...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sara

Everything went by in a blur.

First I saw a black wolf then blood was everywhere and I was picked up watching as the trees blurred past us.

I closed my eyes to reorient myself. I tried to reopen them but they were too heavy and I passed out exhausted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jared

Almost there, I thought to myself to keep going. I couldn't afford to stop now and I didn't want another incident to happen.

So I kept running.

After about what felt like another hour or two of running I finally saw some form of light and excited I ran faster.

Suddenly a large sewer opening came in front of me and I skidded to a stop. My ears popped with how fast I was running and the wind rushing past me and I was suddenly over heated. I was sucking in air like I was suffocating and I sat down with the girl in my arms.

I looked down at her peaceful face and I started to slow down on my breathing and my heartbeat slowed down to it's regular pace.

My eyes closed.