You can't just destroy that.

Apparently though, Schlatt can.

"Effective immediately, all citizens of L'manburg are required to help tear down the walls." Schlatt commands powerfully. More people cry out in protest, but the majority are stunned. The walls have always been here, and no one considered the fact that they may not in the future.

"That concludes the second presidential speech." Schlatt finishes calmly, before strutting off the stage.

We end up corralled towards the walls, Niki, Eret, Tubbo and I standing by a section on our own. Iron pickaxes lie unused at our feet while we stand in silence, apart from a backdrop of grinding metal on stone and grunts of exertion.

"This is not right." Eret says, looking up at the towering section of stone bricks in front go us.

"Surely this goes against the treaties we signed with Dream." Tubbo adds nervously, eyes flickering to me.

"He's definitely not going to like this." I agree.

"Who's not going to like this?" A horrible voice cuts in, and I can almost feel my whole body deflate in exasperation. Can this man just fuck off, for even a second?

No one answers, as Schlatt and Quackity appear.

"Tubbo, why aren't you mining?"

"Schlatt I don't think this is a good idea." Tubbo protests, but it's shaky and uncertain. Something wild flashes in Schlatt's eyes, and he steps right into Tubbo's face, glaring down at him. I take an involuntary step forward before Quackity sends me a quick look of warning.

"Tubbo tear down the goddamn walls now." He snarls, and I swear all the blood drains out of Tubbo's face, but he still doesn't move.

"I really don't think we should."

"Get mining now!" Schlatt yells, and Tubbo flinches back. My hands curl into fists.

"I don't-"

"Now!" Schlatt cuts him off, voice booming with rage, leaning even closer so Tubbo is forced to frantically shuffle back. Schlatt stands up and looks around at us, before finally stepping back, straightening his suit jacket.

"If you're not going to find Wilbur Soot and Tommyinnit, you may as well make yourself useful." He snaps. "The wall comes down. That goes for you two as well."

Niki and I both go as far as picking up a pickaxe, while Tubbo starts swinging it into the walls, ridiculously outsized by the tool he's wielding. Schlatt claps a motionless Eret on the shoulder.

"Eret, we are past this era of- of boarding ourselves in, of being restrained by walls and boundaries." Schlatt explains, Quackity cackling appreciatively behind him. Eret's face doesn't move.

"I'll be the first to warn you that you are lining up for a second war." Is all he says in response, disdain dripping from his tone. Niki and I glance at each other, fear igniting within the both of us. Surely, surely Schlatt could not be stupid enough to send us into another war.

Schlatt just laughs menacingly, horrifying, smug smile widening on his face. "Maybe I am Eret, maybe I am."

"No Schlatt you can't!" Niki suddenly bursts out, throwing her pickaxe down. Schlatt turns, mocking surprise widening his features.

"Oh I can't? Niki, I think I can." He taunts. "Tubbo! Not enough mining!" He shouts, and I turn to see a stationary Tubbo scramble to resume his swinging.

"Sorry!" Tubbo says in panic. "I'm sorry!"

Schlatt's eyes never leave Niki as he looks down at her, and I feel sick to my stomach. He surveys the both of us for a few uncomfortable seconds, before his enraged face melts back into the blank, unreadable expression he's so used to wearing.