Chapter 12- Distractions

Y/n's POV:

After changing into the pinstripe suit, I snuck into Café Salmonella and was met with quite a few familiar faces. I saw the two people I met at the bank, Jacquelyn and Mr. Poe, along with Count Olaf, Esmé Squalor, Larry, who worked in the Prufrock Cafeteria for a while, and the Baudelaires.

When I saw Klaus, it took every ounce of my self control not to run over and hug him. It had only been a few days since I saw him last, but I still really missed him. I took a deep breath, then just as I was about to go distract Olaf, Jacquelyn saw me and walked up to me.

"Ah, glad to see you here," she said, giving me a firm handshake. I smiled in confusion, my head spinning. "We're trying our best to contain Gunther, but he seems very intent on leaving," Jacquelyn informed me.

"Well, I'm here to help," I said. "What can I do?"

Jacquelyn smiled. "Well, Gunther needs to keep up the ruse of being a foreign auctioneer," she said, "so you could talk to him about the auction." She reached into her coat pocket and handed me a catalog.

"What's this?" I asked, glancing at the glossy cover of the thing. The cover read In Auction.

"It's the catalog for the auction Gunther and Esmé are planning," she said. "You might find it helpful when you're keeping him occupied."

"Okay," I said, nodding.

"I'll be nearby if you need any help," she said. I smiled gratefully as she walked back to her table, then I took a deep breath and turned on fan girl mode.

"Oh my gosh," I shrieked, inwardly cringing as I rushed over to the table Olaf was sitting at. "Is that Gunther? The in auctioneer who is on the cover of The Daily Punctilio?"

"Yes, that is me, please," he replied in an odd accent.

"I was on the cover too," Esmé piped in, setting down her glass of salmon water.

I turned to her and gasped excitedly. "I get to meet an foreign auctioneer and the city's sixth most important financial adviser?" I said. "Wow. I just have to say I am a HUGE fan of you two!"

"Oh, isn't she just darling?" Esmé said with a grin to Gunther. "And that pinstripe suit! Very in."

"Please, very in," Gunther agreed with a nod.

I smiled proudly, swallowing the vomit that rose in my throat from pretending to revere these vile people. "Thank you," I said. "I saw Mrs. Squalor wearing pinstripes, so of course I had to start wearing them too. You are my idol, Mrs. Squalor."

"Call me Esmé," she said, putting a spoonful of her salmon soup in her mouth.

"Really?" I asked. "Oh, I'm so honored."

"Nice to meet you, please," Gunter said, pushing his bowl of soup away with a disgusted look. "But, please, I have to be leaving now, please."

He started to stand up, but I pulled the In Auction catalog out of my pocket and handed it out to him. "Wait!" I said. "Before you go, could I have your autograph?"

Gunther sighed and gave me an annoyed smile. "Not right now, please," he said.

"Oh, come now, Gunther," Esmé said. "It will only take you a moment."

"Please, it's important I need to leave," Gunther said.

"But she's such an adorable little girl," Esmé said. I gave Gunther my best pleading puppy dog eyes. "Are you an orphan?" Esmé asked. "Because you seem very in."