Chapter 9- Secret Poems

Klaus's POV:

We finished gathering our materials in the cafeteria, then snuck back to the library to work. Y/n avoided me the whole time. She wouldn't look at me or sit near me or talk to me or anything. I didn't know what to do. She thought that I didn't like her, and that I was just pretending, but I actually did like her a whole lot. For some reason, she didn't believe me.

I sighed as I stuffed flour in a rubber glove to make a fake Sunny. Y/n was searching through the library's shelves, trying to find The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations. Ms. Caliban had looked for it earlier, but couldn't find anything, so Y/n said she'd double check for us.

"How do I look?" Isadora asked. I looked up from the rubber glove and sighed again.

"Like you glued a piece of fringe to your hair," I said. Isadora smiled and rolled her eyes.

"Well, Olaf won't be able to see us in the dark, so I think it will be okay," she replied.

"It will be okay," Duncan said firmly, casting Violet a worried glance. Violet nodded unenthusiastically, messing around with the roller skates she invented so the Quagmires could drag the flour Sunny behind them. Duncan gently patted her hand, and Violet smiled a little at him.

"I found something!" Y/n said suddenly, racing over to us with a large book in her hands. It was opened to the first page, and her eyes were scanning whatever the book contained.

"Is it The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations?" Duncan asked.

Y/n nodded and sat down between Duncan and Isadora, laying the book on the table. "Listen to this," she said. "It's a poem."

"Is it a couplet?" Isadora asked excitedly, referring to the type of poetry she liked to write.

Y/n smiled at her friend, but shook her head. "No, but it is very interesting. Listen:

When we grab you by the ankles,
Where our mark is to be made,
You'll soon be doing noble work,
Although you won't be paid.
When we drive away in secret,
You'll be a volunteer.
So don't scream when we take you,
The world is quiet here."

We all thought in silence for a moment, taking turns examining the strange poem from the book.

"Huh?" Sunny finally asked, voicing what we were all thinking.

"Well, somehow it's connected to a secret-" Y/ n started, but was cut off by the sound of the door handle rattling loudly. We all stood stock still and remained silent until the shadowy figure of a person moved away from the library door.

Y/n shut the book and stood up. "We can discuss this later. Right now we have laps to run and tests to study for," she said. Everyone muttered their agreement and we quickly finished up the disguises.

"You guys don't have to do this, you know," Violet said finally to the Quagmires.

"You could just go back to your broom closet and forget all about this," I added.

Duncan and Isadora shook their heads. "We can't just forget about you guys," Isadora said. "We want to help."

Duncan took Violet's hand and smiled at her. "We'll be okay, Vi," he said quietly. "I promise."

"We'll see you all in the morning," Isadora said.

"Be safe," Sunny babbled, hugging Isadora's leg. Isadora smiled and leaned down to hug her back.

"We will," she said.

Violet's POV:

Duncan pulled me away from the others, whispering that he needed to tell me something. I followed him, but the only thought that ran through my mind was that this might be the last time I ever saw Duncan.

"Is everything okay?" I asked him, cupping his face in my hands. Duncan smiled and slid his hands onto my waist, pulling me close to him.

"Everything is fine," he said. "Everything will be fine, Violet."

I sighed and nodded, smiling weakly back at him. He tucked some of my hair behind my ear, then leaned forward and locked me in the sweetest kiss I've ever had. Granted, I've only ever kissed Duncan, but it was sweet nonetheless. He kissed me slowly and passionately, his arms wrapped protectively around my back as I tangled my hands in his hair.

"I love you so much, Violet," he whispered into my lips with a smile.

"I love you too, Duncan," I replied. He sighed happily as I pulled his head closer to mine and deepened the kiss.

"Yucky," Sunny shrieked, startling the both of us. We quickly broke apart, blushing and not looking at each other.

"Sunny!" Isadora laughed, picking her up. "Sorry, you two. But we should really get going, Duncan."

Duncan smiled nervously at me, giving me one last gentle kiss. He pulled away, letting my bottom lip slowly slide out of his mouth. I smiled and laughed a little, waving goodbye as he walked out of the library with his sister and the flour Sunny.

"Too much kiss," real Sunny said disapprovingly. I smiled and patted her head.

"You'll understand when you're older," I said to her.

"I'm older," Y/n said. "I don't understand."

"Not helping," I said with a laugh. Y/n smiled and shrugged, then started to clean up our mess from making flour Sunny.

"I'll help you," Klaus said, coming to stand next to her.

"I can get it," she said. "You need to go study."

"You sure you'll be okay?" I asked.

"Yep," she said, nodding and walking away from Klaus. She seemed to be avoiding him, and I wondered if something happened between the two of them. Klaus had, (inadvertently), told me he had a crush on Y/n. She seemed to like him too, but he might have done something to make her mad if she was acting like this.

"Okay, well, let's go then," I said, picking Sunny up and gesturing to Klaus to follow me. He seemed reluctant to leave Y/n, but gave her a hug before walking out of the library with Sunny and I.

Y/n's POV:

I sighed as Klaus left. I wanted him here with me, but I was still scared. I decided I really needed to get rid of my crush on him so things would be normal between us again.

I thought about Klaus as I swept up all the flour in the library. He had wanted to tell me something in the cafeteria, before I broke down in tears. I inwardly cringed, hating how weak and useless I must have seemed to him.

"I'm not weak and I'm not useless," I scolded myself quietly. I cried again anyways. Not as much as I did in the cafeteria, but I cried nonetheless.

"Y/n?" someone asked. I jumped and shrieked, quickly turning around. I sighed in relief when I saw it was just Mom.

"Oh my gosh, you scared me!" I said. She smiled and walked over to give me a hug.

"What are you doing in here?" she asked. I sniffled and wiped my eyes.

"Just hanging out," I replied.

She brushed my hair off my shoulder and patted my head. "Well, you should really leave, since it's after hours. You don't want to have to trim Nero's toenails, do you?" she said.

I shuddered and gagged. No, no I did not want to trim Nero's toenails. I'd seen them before, and they were disgusting. "You're right," I said. "Let's go."

We walked out of the library together, leaving The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations on the table.

(A/N) Hi!!!! Here's the first new chapter I've posted in a while! All the other's were edited, but this one's brand new! I hope you guys liked it! 😊