Chapter 25

In rich people dramas, social gatherings set the stage for drama. Catty women having low volume bitching matches, champagne tossed on a cheating husband, passive aggressive attacks high and low. Always ending with a dramatic plot twist. An engagement announcement? The main lead is forced to choose between two men in front of the stage? The high school bully returned for revenge? 

No one cared to mention that, in real life, social gatherings were not just boring, but painfully boring. There was no champagne thrown, no catty commentary, no dramatic entrances. Instead, there were plastic smiles, chafing thighs and foot cramps from standing in heels too long. The hors d'oeuvres were better as a decoration than actual nourishment, the music was painfully monotone, and my face was starting to hurt from smiling. 

Kiera linked arms with me and softened her gaze in empathy. "Remind me to be a drama queen when I'm rich," she whispered. "I'll be the crazy rich person that busts doors open and dramatically takes over the mic like an underappreciated villain." 

Though my plastic smile stayed stuck to my face, I smiled gently with my eyes in endearment. I could easily imagine Kiera storming into a venue like a paparazzi star fresh out of rehab. I wished someone like that could appear, save us from this boredom. 

"Fay!" I jumped hearing Seth from behind me. I felt his hand gently brush the small of my back as he moved in front of me, a slimy shiver running down my spine. "Is this your roommate?" 

"Kiera," she introduced herself with a pleasant smile. Even with a fake smile, Kiera always seemed to be genuine. It made me wonder sometimes if her genuine smiles at me were truly so. 

Seth, however, didn't seem to notice a difference. "Seth," he greeted. "So, what do you think? It took a lot of overtime, but I definitely couldn't have done it without Fay's help." 

"It's very high class," Kiera said. "Especially for a college event." 

I could sense the sass that came from Kiera's comment, but if Seth noticed, he didn't show it. "I didn't really do much," I said, hoping to mask any hostility Kiera could potentially let show. "I was just happy to be useful." 

"No need to be so modest, you did a lot," Seth insisted. 

"Considering the flack she got for helping you, I'd say she deserves more than a 'good job'," Kiera said flatly. 

I glared at Kiera, heart pounding in my ears. What was she doing? Was she trying to blow our cover? 

Seth gave a sheepish smile. "Actually, I'm glad you brought it up," he said, before he looked at me with what seemed like genuine remorse. "I wasn't sure how to apologize. You didn't seem like you wanted to tell me, so I thought you didn't want me to know. Some of the guys told me what happened, so I asked them to keep a look out in case anyone tried anything again. I know it's not an apology, but I hope I can make it up to you somehow." 

"I think she'll be thrown in a grave before she can be seen with you in public," Kiera deadpanned. "Your fan club put a fat target on her back, so unless you can make that go away, I don't see how an apology would work." 

"Kiera," I hissed in warning, tugging on her wrist. Why was she being so hostile? Did she not realize how important this mission was? Me getting a couple nasty words thrown at me didn't even compare to saving those girls. 

"No, she's right," Seth replied. "I'm glad you have such a supportive friend, Fay, really. I feel more at ease knowing you have someone to help you out." 

I blinked, wide eyed. That was so not the reaction I was expecting. Not even in the slightest. It was moments like these I completely forgot about Seth potentially leading a sex trafficking operation. He looked so genuine, so much like a college student. It seemed so unrealistic to see him as a monster. The thought always left me conflicted. What I knew and what I saw never seemed to add up. What was I missing, exactly?