Chapter 9

I didn't sleep that night. Whenever I closed my eyes, images of Noah's scarred torso appeared. It honestly appeared whether my eyes were open or not. I tried to shake my head of the thoughts, but that motion only lasted for a few short moments before my thoughts wandered back.

The scars were definitely from cigarettes, I was sure. I hadn't seen my fair share of cigarette burns, but living in a hospital and having way too much free time to watch dramas made me sure. I couldn't think of anything else those circular scars could be. More importantly, why did he have them? surely that many burns in organized clusters couldn't be an accident. But then how? 

I didn't realize I was hovering by Noah's door until it creaked open, making me yelp in surprise. "You're here." 

"It's my dorm," he narrowed his eyes at me. 

"Right." 

Noah's frame leaned against his door. The bruised side of his face had now turned a nasty shade of purple, and a black t shirt covered his torso. He looked exhausted, weary. I was surprised he was able to stand given his injuries. 

"So?" Noah's voice pulled me from my thoughts as he stared expectantly. 

My cheeks flushed. "I-I just wanted to see if you were okay." 

"M'fine," he grumbled, though it was obvious he wasn't. 

"You should go to a hospital," I tried hesitantly. 

"I'm fine..." he went to close the door, but I smacked my palm on the door before he could close it. When I didn't budge, he just turned and plopped back into his bed, groaning at the impact. 

My heart tugged when he wrapped his arms around his pillow, his hair falling gently over his eyes. His split lip formed a pout and he slowly opened his eyes to stare at me again. I looked away. His eyes, even now, had a way of piercing right through me. 

"You're still here?" It wasn't hostile, just a statement. 

I scoffed. "A thank you would be the appropriate response." 

"I didn't ask you to help." 

The veins under my skin boiled. "You could've died if I didn't help you." 

"And why would that matter to you?" 

I clenched my jaw and formed fists at my sides. Even now, he was completely shameless. "Unlike you, I actually care about people." 

"So me saving you was what exactly?" 

It infuriated me that he was right. Even now, when I should have the upper hand, he was always ahead of me. He did save me. To him, I was just returning a favor. Like paying back a loaned dollar. "Fine, let's just consider us even then." 

"I recall saving you twice-" 

"Just-uhg!" I threw my hands up in irritation. "You're infuriating." 

He didn't respond, just painfully forced himself to lay on his back. "If you're not gonna leave, mind handing me the gauze?" 

I scowled and grabbed the first aid kit from under his bed, sitting beside him. He grunted when the bed dipped and raised his shirt to reveal the nicely bandaged cut on his side. He went to grab the kit, but I sighed and swatted his hand. "I got it." 

"You're getting more and more bold," he mumbled, his eyelids drooping. 

I was grateful he couldn't see the way my cheeks burned and my hands trembled slightly. I bit my lip, trying not to focus too much on his tanned abs that were making my insides burn. I wondered if he knew. I didn't think Noah could read thoughts or anything but could guys like, sense arousal?