23

Please tell me baby if all this is true

Cause deep down inside all I wanted was you

Best Years Of Our Lives – Baha Men

The flat bell rings in the living room to the rhythm of Darth Vader's Imperial March.

"I think Nessie has arrived," smiles Seven.

Nataniel rolls his eyes and gets up from the sofa to open the door for his friend. The girl is waiting for him on the landing with a huge smile on her face and shopping bags in her arms.

"Happy Candlemas!" she exclaims cheerfully.

"Wow! You went to rob the shop?"

"It's so we have a lot of choice," she explains as she enters the flat. "I'm going to put everything away in the kitchen. Hi Seven!" she says to the boy as she passes the living room.

"Hi! Did you bring your famous maple syrup wine?"

"What do you take me for?" she continues from the kitchen. "I even bought some French cider! By the way, Nat, they didn't have any salted butter caramel so I'll make it myself while you prepare the crepes batter."

"That's fine," Nataniel replies, joining her in the kitchen. "Let me give you a hand. What time do you want us to start preparing everything? Sam and Paul arrive at eight."

"Hm... The dough needs to rest so it would be good to get started in an hour."

"Okay!"

They finish putting away the girl's groceries, Nataniel amazed by all her purchases, then they join Seven in the living room.

"No time to watch a movie, then?"

"We can start it before we start cooking and finish it after! It's your turn to choose, Nat!"

The boy decides on a psychological thriller and they wrap themselves up in plaids to watch it. Halfway through the film, they pause it and go to work in the kitchen. While Nessie cooks a salted butter caramel, Seven does the sweet crepes batter and Nataniel the savoury one.

"I'm terribly hungry," Nessie sighs as she contemplates their preparations.

"Only two hours to go," smiles Nataniel, patting her on the back.

"We'll have to cook the lardons, mushrooms and onions in advance, I think... But let's finish this film first!"

Just before eight o'clock, Nataniel and Nessie prepare the crepe's toppings and Seven sets the table.

"Shall I get a plate for Coline?" he asks Nataniel.

"She said she'd be back from the library at about eleven o'clock and would probably have a crepe for dessert with us."

"Bart's not here?" asks Nessie.

"He's been avoiding me like the plague." Seven replies with a giggle.

"Why is that?"

"Because I'm a poor immigrant," he winks at her.

"What does that mean?" Nessie stares at him, struggling to understand.

"Because I'm from the wrong side of Hillz, that's all. Along the railway tracks, at the foot of the hills, not up - where the good people live."

"And Bart has a problem with people from the suburbs?"