3

Sitting in clouds of smoke

Waiting all alone

Why?

Boy - Emma Louise

"It seems that one of my neighbours comes from your infamous neighbourhoods of Hillz."

Nessie stands on the bed, staring at Nataniel who is fixing the ceiling. "For real?"

"Bart told me so."

"Wicked!"

Nataniel has a laugh. "I was sure you'd say that."

"Am I that predictable? Damn."

"No. Don't worry, you're never predictable."

"And how old is that famous neighbour?"

"He must be a little older than us..."

"Do you know his name?"

"No. Why?"

She shrugs her shoulders and lies down next to her friend. "Like this."

"I think Bart likes you. He asked me if you were single."

"I can't date a boy who has hair almost as long as mine."

"That's mean" comments Nataniel, swivelling to the side to look at her.

She imitates him, plunging her gaze into the young man's green eyes. "No, it's a pretext."

"Why?"

"I want to go out with someone who thinks I'm awesome, not pretty."

"It didn't work very well until now," Nataniel laughs softly.

"Now, you are the petty one."

"Sorry."

"We can't help it. It's the truth." She closes her eyes and makes a deep sigh. "But I don't need to be impatient. What must happen will happen. Nothing ever happens without reason."

Nataniel observes her silently until his phone starts ringing. "That's my father," he says, looking at the screen, "I will call him back later."

"It's getting late, and my parents will grumble if I don't come home soon, especially since I haven't had dinner with them... So answer him, I'll go."

Without giving Nataniel time to reply, she picks up her belongings and blows him a kiss before passing the door. His phone's still ringing, so the young boy answers before his father is directed to his voicemail. They stay on the phone for about thirty minutes and then the young man joins Coline and Bart in the living room and they watch a police soap opera together. Then, as it gets late and since he has class the next day, Nataniel wishes his roommates a good night and goes to bed.

This was without counting on the fact that he would not manage to fall asleep and would remain in bed for an endless time. Sam once told him that, during insomnia, you should not watch the clock. He ends up giving in and reaches out to turn on the screen of his mobile phone and take a look. The clock says three in the morning. With a sigh, he pushes his sheets back and leaves his bed. Bloody insomnia. He puts on his trousers and his shoes, puts a sweatshirt, and slips his keys in the pocket with a pack of cigarettes and his lighter, then runs off down the stairs. Once outside, Nataniel looks up at the sky and gazes at the few dimly shining stars.

"Good evening."

The voice makes him jump. It comes from a person sitting on a bench across the street. A streetlamp just a few steps away illuminate the figure, giving it a ghostly look. Nataniel joins him, curious. He froze up finding out who this voice belongs to. The upstairs neighbour.