9

What if, what if we left today ?

What if we said goodbye to safe and sound ?

YOUTH – Troye Sivan

Sitting on the carpet in Sam's room, Sam, Paul and Nataniel are playing the console while chatting.

"Nessie's not coming," says Sam, his eyes down on his mobile phone.

"Why?" ask Nataniel and Paul in unison.

"I think she's breaking up with Charles."

Paul frowns while glancing at Sam. "You think?"

"She says, and I quote: Sorry Sammy, I won't be there today. Unexpected but necessary discussion with Charles, I don't think I'm in the mood to come and play afterwards."

"Shit," comments Nataniel.

"This will only be the fourth time they've split up" sighs Paul. "Maybe the right one."

"I heard he slept with a first-year girl this weekend," Sam mutters.

"How do you know that?"

"I heard it in the locker room at football practice... It must be true."

"What a bastard, that guy!" shouts Nataniel while decapitating a zombie in game.

"I guess Nessie won't be going to Elliot's party then. They're mates with Charles, so the other jerk will probably be there."

"Were we supposed to go to that party?"

"We talked about it on the group chat, Nat, it's crazy!"

"I must have missed some messages..."

"Elliot's having a GenderBrends party this weekend. The concept is to go in drag."

Nataniel raises an eyebrow. "I think I'll pass."

Nat:

"Just out of curiosity, Seven, but are you going to that 'famous' party everyone in town is talking about right now? Elliot's..."

16h31

Seven:

"Of course I am. I wouldn't miss Elliot's GenderBrends party for the sheer pleasure of enjoying the sight of beautiful boys in skirts. Totally what could make me fall madly in love. "

17h53

Nat:

"I knew it. After all, rugby players in skirts are probably everyone's type... Not very original, Seven. "

17h53

Seven:

"Not wrong. This explains why I won't be at Elliot's party. No desire to see idiots pretending that being a woman is about having big boobs, long hair and wearing a dress. Then, with all due respect to the rugby players, I prefer philosophers. "

17h54

Nat:

"That's a good thing for me, then. "

17h59

Nataniel throws his mobile phone across the bed and buries his face in his hands. He cannot believe he just sent this. But... Seven threw him the line, right? He remains listless for a long time, wondering if one can decently die of embarrassment. Finally, picking up some courage, he retrieves his phone and checks his messages. Nothing. No response.