4

Something makes me want to know

Who you are

Who You Are - Cats On Tree

"We're invited to a party on Friday night."

The three boys raise their heads in one movement towards Nessie who has just arrived at their table in the study room.

"At whose house?" asks Sam, with bright eyes.

"A guy in his first year of prep school. There will be high school students too."

"Are we invited... or were you invited?" asks Nataniel while looking into her eyes.

"Oh, Nat, don't be like that" Paul rebukes him. "We're not going to say no to a party and the opportunity to meet girls!"

"Nessie?" insists the young man.

"I made sure that we were all invited," she replies, crossing her arms. "And I'm expecting you to be coming."

"We'll come," says Sam.

"Perfect. I'll send you the address on our Messenger group. We can meet first at my house if you want."

On Friday evening, they meet as agreed in the impressive manor house of Nessie. While Nataniel, Sam and Paul alternate cigarettes and beer drops, Nessie places a blood-red polish on her nails. Nataniel observes her from the corner of his eyes. He wonders for whom she made herself look good tonight. If it's just for her own pleasure or if she was thinking about someone all along.

He watches her blow on his nails and then grabs a beer from her fingertips and sips some alcohol. Sam hands her a joint and she looks at him with false offence then starts laughing. Nessie does not smoke; it is against her philosophy of life.

"There's a bus in twenty-eight minutes," she announces after having a look at her phone. "It gives us time to some vodka shooters!"

A little less than an hour later, they pass the gates of the house where the party has already started.

"I will bring the bottles of wine to Damien," says Nessie as she's already leaving them "you guys take a look around."

Nataniel knows very well that they will only see her intermittently throughout the evening. That's how Nessie is, a free electron. One moment, she's here, the next moment, she's gone. So they just head to the drinks buffet and decide to get carried away by the party.

A little later, Nataniel sees Nessie in the arms of this famous ex whom Paul had spoken about. Charles, by name. Paul also remarks it.

"I'm going to slaughter this motherfucker," he says suddenly as he starts walking towards them.

"Paul, hell, no!"

Nataniel starts following him, but someone else intercepts Paul before him. Stunned, Nataniel observes Seven smiling at Paul by tapping his shoulder.

"Here is a young man who could use some fresh air" smiles Seven.

"What do you know?" protests Paul. "And who the hell are you?"

"Someone with whom you really don't want to fight."

"That turns out well, it's the other asshole I'm going to go and screw."

"I don't think you'll be able to."

Nataniel decides to join the discussion. "Seriously, Paul, let her live her life."