7

In your smile, in your eyes

I can see so much of my life

Count On Me – Fools Garden

For at least two hours, Nataniel and Sam have been wandering the streets of Goldale, talking about everything and nothing. It is a habit they've both had for a long time - walking aimlessly and for no reason. In the pedestrian streets full of people, you can hear conversations in French or English and sometimes even some in German. This is, according to Nataniel, one of the charms of living in Goldale and more generally in the small country of Nietzovia. In the north and east of the country, along the German border, German is spoken mainly, while in the south, on the Swiss border, and in the west, on the French border, French is the most common language.

As for English, it is rather typical of the Goldale region since the founder of the town was an English emigrant.

On their right, a couple is arguing in German.

"What are they saying?" asks Nataniel to Sam, the only one who has chosen to take German lessons.

"Hm... Apparently, he has promised his mother that they would celebrate Christmas with her when they had planned to spend it in Lapland, just the two of them as lovers." Sam is listening, attentive. "He says they can go to Lapland for the New Year... And she thinks it is absolutely stupid because celebrating the New Year at two is sad."

Nataniel smiles as he imagines the dialogue.

"And we, darling," he says to Sam, "what are we going to do for the New Year's Eve celebrations?"

"I guess we'll go where Nessie will drag us," sighs Sam.

"Is high school really going to end without us ever being invited to a party personally, but only through Ness?"

"At the same time, it's not like we're going to high school parties. We always end up going to students' houses or prep students' houses!"

"Not false," comments Nataniel with a smile. "But that doesn't change the fact that we're not invited to parties."

"Maybe there just aren't any parties organised at school, then," replies Sam.

"We'll say that! How about we get those famous waffles and go home? I have a commentary in philosophy for tomorrow and I don't feel like spending my Sunday night there."

"Waffle Avenue or Pay Your Waffle?"

"Pay Your Waffle, of course!" answers Nataniel.

"Yeah! Let's eat all those sweet calories!" exclaims Sam while leading the way.

***

"You've been on your phone a lot these days" Nessie points out as she sorts the grains of rice from her plate.

Nataniel watches her sort them by colour: white, black, red...

"Do you think so?" he asks softly.

"Yes, for the last ten days or so... It's not really usual."

"I'm talking to Seven," he explains.

"I understand better! And what are you two talking about?"

"A bit of everything... We philosophise a lot," he smiles. "And Seven likes to tell about everything that happens to him or what he sees."

"So you have some kind of correspondence through text messages?"

"Something like that, yes."

"Interesting..."