T W E N T Y - T H R E E

"Jesse is that you," I heard my mother call out as I entered the house

I just returned from celebrating with Myles and his family over their victory.

I was so happy for Myles and his family, glad they were able to finally able to rid of that lousy excuse of a man from their lives.

"Yeah," I replied as I slipped my shoes off at the entrance.

A yawn escaped my lips as I had a long day and it was now evening.

I tiredly dragged myself up the stairs before stopping at the front of my mother's room.

"Where are you going?" I asked curiously as I watched her sit in front of her vanity, releasing her hair from the perm rods she put in.

I noticed the dress and heels she laid out on her bed, indicating that where she was going was somewhere fancy.

"Out for dinner," She replied vaguely before urging me into the room to help her pull out the rest.

"With who?" I asked as I stood behind her, her gaze avoiding my own in the mirror.

"Your father," She rushed out quickly, but I managed to catch what she said.

"Oh, really," I said a smirk forming onto my face as she rolled her eyes.

"It's nothing, we're just friends. Friends go out all the time for dinner?" She defended as I raised my hands up in mock surrender.

"Whatever you say, mom" I replied with a cheeky grin before pulling out the last rod.

"I mean just because your father is going to be around more, doesn't mean things will change," She said as I nodded in agreement.

"I mean though I've been working fewer hours at the hospital and it's become clear that we both are no longer putting our careers first, doesn't mean things will start working again." She began to rant as I listened attentively.

"Who are you trying to convince mom. Me or you?" I stated as I took a seat on the edge of the bed her ranting coming to a pause.

"Mom," I said causing her to look at me.

"Do you still love dad?" I asked as her eyes widen in shock.

"Of course I do, I'll always have love for your father," She replied instantly.

"No, but are you in love with him. You can love someone, but not be in love with them," I explained.

Silence stretched across the room as she began to ponder upon my words.

"Does it matter?" She whispered lowly.

"Of course it does mom," I said placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Yes, I am still in love with your father. I believe I always will be," She admitted.

"Then why don't you try to be with him again?" I question wondering what's been holding her back the last ten years.