exes 😱 / familiar (au)

Calypso grabbed her bag and got out out of her car. She hurried through campus, determined not to be late on the first day of her third year of college. The last one was rough. Family trouble, drama within friend groups, mental health, breakups- she was lucky she even made it through the year. She pulled out her phone to check the time. 3 minutes till class began.

"Shit."

------------

Calypso plopped in her seat and let out a breath she'd been holding in. She arrived just in time- her professor was starting the lecture. She sat around for most of the lecture, partially listening and partially not. Towards the end, she finally began to start paying attention to the words being said to her.

"-A project for the beginning of the year." Calypso's head snapped up. She glanced around the room, seeing everyone's bored faces. A notification came up on her phone, and Calypso immediately went to see who it was.

Did you hear that?

Oh, Katie. She texted again.

What are you so annoyed for Cal? 😏

Calypso rolled her eyes and turned her head to Katie, who was giggling in her seat.

Calypso would be lying if she said every time someone texted her she hurried to see if it was her ex-boyfriend. Sure, she broke up with him months ago. But what if he randomly reached out to her? What if he felt some kind of remorse? What if he wanted to apologize?

"You'll be in pairs of two." Her professor explained. "Pairs that I have chosen." He took out a paper and started going through names. Calypso bit her lip. Her ex was in this class. What if- no. It'd be a truly unfortunate coincidence if she got paired with her ex-boyfriend for this project. She had nothing to worry about. She grabbed her water and took a sip. "Billie Ng and Katie Gardner. Jake Mason and Kayla Knowles. Calypso Nightshade and Leo Valdez."

Calypso choked on her water. She started coughing and trying for air, while the guy sitting next to her awkwardly patted her back. When she could finally breathe, she blushed and apoligzed. "Sorry."

Leo Valdez? As in her ex Leo Valdez?

Uh uh. No way. She couldn't work on a project- let alone work alone with him. Not with the way they left things off.

The professor called the last of the names and looked up from the paper. "Your assignment is to go over the lives 4 well known woodworkers. You have 3 weeks to do so. Good luck!" All of the students began getting up to find their partners. Calypso stayed in her seat, still in shock. She glanced up at her professor who was looking at the students around the room and sighed.

"Hey."

Calypso turned around and immediately tried her best to hide her shock. Standing before her was her ex-boyfriend, Leo Valdez.

She and Leo had an interesting history.

They met at the beach late at night. Calypso's car had broken down and Leo offered to fix it. After a few hours of talking, they exchanged numbers. Their first months of dating were magical. But as the relationship went on, and their lives went on, different things happened that effected both aspects of their lives. Leo's two best friends split up, making things awkward for him. He moved away from family once again, so he started to miss them. Along with that, old memories kept haunting him.