Head Above Water

*Cams P.O.V*

Lifting my head from the water I took my first good breath of oxygen. The crowd was going crazy, people shouting things I couldn't understand. Coach jumping up and down like a mad man.

Turning my head away from the gutter I looked out at the pool, specifically at lane five to see Hannah still swimming in from the flags.

Everything quickly processed in my head as I looked at the lanes next to me. Holy shit! I had touched first! I won! I beat Hannah!

Turning around I looked up at Luke who was smiling down at me. Screwing all pool etiquette, I hopped out and stood infront of Luke who still had a big smile on his face.

     "Well?" I questioned still slightly out of breath.

      "You won." He stated with a smug smile knowing he was avoiding my real question.

Truth was, yes I did win. Not only had I won but I crushed the competition, beating Hannah by 3 seconds. Yes, beating Hannah was important to me but now that I know I beat her. All I wanted to know was 'did I get the record'.

      "Did I?" I asked looking him in the eyes like and eager child.

      "Just listen." He said taking a step closer.

At that exact moment the annoncer began shouting the winners.

      "And in lane 4 winning the 100 yard butterfly we have Camilla Westphal with a state qualifying time and a school varsity record time of...."

Luke stepped closer whispering in my ear.

      "52.01" he said his lips brushing my ear.

I froze for a moment... letting my mind catch up to what Luke and the announcer had said.

I had just broken the record!

Omg!

I jumped up and down for a moment a smile on my face, I was beyond excited. Before I could even think, excitement took over me as I grabbed Luke's face, allowing his lips to crash into mine. I felt his hand wrap around my waist and I quickly realized what I had just did. Pulling away I turn my head, I was embarrassed. Yes, me and Luke liked each other but we hadn't even gone on one date and here I was kissing him on the middle of the pool deck for everyone to see.

    "Sorry." I said quickly still not making eye contact with him.

He let out a deep chuckle before he lifted his hand turning my head to look at him. I stared deeply into his brown eyes. He began to lean forward reconnecting our kiss, wrapping his hand around my waist mine went behind his head. Our lips connecting, out of instinct I shut my eyes. Lips fitting like puzzle pieces. 

They were softer then I imagined, his lips. Yet again almost a whole swim season ago I couldn't even picture myself kissing Luke Spyri, let alone be in the same room as him. But poeple change, and this time for the better.

I could feel the cameras flashing, see the light from behind my closed eye lids. No doubt reporters were going to use that picture in the papers for my record breaking time.

I pulled away from Luke slowly and opened my eyes looking back into his.

      "Don't you ever apologize for kissing me." He said in a stern yet soft voice. "Now go get your medal!" He half shouted pointing toward the podium where they were starting 100 fly awards. He lightly pushed me towards the podium still smiling.

As soon as I broke away from Luke reporters started swarming me. But I kept walking toward the podium ignoring their questions. They would get their time, but right now I was too happy to stop and talk. Right now I had a million other thoughts running through my head.

I had just beat Hannah in the 100 fly, not only did I beat her but I got the record and qualified for states! And just now with Luke kissing me. Damn, how was a girl even supposed to think straight after a kiss like that.

Stepping up onto the podium Hannah shot me a glare while she was standing on second. On the first place block I looked down at her and she looked up at me.

      "I shouldn't be standing here." She said blankly trying to convince herself more than me.

I looked at her for a second before looking away not taking any of her shit.

Two girls came up and began putting metals around our necks, Hannah looked at her with disgust.

     "You got the wrong color, my should be gold." she said trying to step onto my block.

I looked at her and slightly shoved her off my block. I rolled my eyes, sore looser much?

Luke rolled his eyes too, and I slightly smiled at him for doing so. He gave me a thumbs-up, causing me to smile wider and Hannah to roll her eyes.

Looking down at her I put on a fake smile and said,

     "Looks like your right Hannah, Luke will be going home with the winner."

She huffed and ripped of her medal standing in the podium arms crossed she looked straight ahead in annoyance.

I chose to quickly ignore her as I prepared for the photo. Hold the metal in one hand and raising my arm with the other the cameras flashed. All I could think was, 'you won't ever get into my head again Hannah.'

My head is above water, and you will never drowned me.

*eek, so I have like one or two more chapters then the end of the book so yay! If you guys have ideas for the book let me know I'm open to hearing them! See you next chapter fishes, just keep swimming!*

Word count: 969