The Race Of My Career

*Cams P.O.V*

I sat in my chair on the pool deck, my mind in race mode. My mind had been in race mode sense the moment I got on the bus this morning. The Adrenalin hit harder as I stepped on the pool deck.

I stared acrossed the pool at Hannah, she had her parka pulled up on her head jamming out to whatever song was on her airpods. I was ready to destroy her, crush her, I was feeling better than good.

I sighed to myself and looked around the loud pool deck. People in the stands were almost forced to sit on top of each other because the stands were so full. Reporters were in their corner of the deck asking their questions and interviewing swimmers as they got out of the pool. Coaches shouted on the pool edge as other athletes swam their hardest, And swimmers on the deck got into their own swim mode.

The Adrenalin wasn't going to wear down in me, I could feel it, it was here to stay. Standing up I shook my legs and arms my breathing hitched as I realized my event was next. This was it, if I didn't swim this well I could say goodbye to states and goodbye to the record.

Luke came up next to me and rubbed my shoulders taking my hand and squeezing it. He then stood by my side.

     "How are you feeling?" He asked starting a conversation in hopes that it would make my nerves go away.

      "Good." I stated nodding my head.

Truth was I felt great, minus the nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach.

      "Good. Well I don't know if I told you but, I will be at the end of your lane by blocks cheering for you the whole time." Luke said looking at me with his dark brown eyes.

I looked at him slightly confused.

      "You won't be taking splits for the 100 fly?" I asked

Luke shook his head with a small smile.

     "Nope... I said to coach, 'sorry but I have someone who's going to need me at the end of the lane to tell her, her time, and to be right there when she gets the record."

I looked at Luke with a smile on my face. Trying to find words in my head to describe how much I liked him, or how kind he has been to me, or everything else he's done for me in the last few weeks. Instead I took his hand and squeezed it lightly letting out the nerves in my stomach.

I made my way to lane 4 with Luke on my tail as I walked. Once behind the block Hannah walked up to lane 5 getting prepared for the same race. I took one look at her and decided not to let her in my head ever again. I had everything I wanted right now, confidence, strength, support, and... Luke.

I looked at Luke behind me. No, we aren't dating, but God I wish we were, and God it sure feels like we were already dating. We had spent every waking moment together sense we started training, and in these waking moments we hugged, held hands, and yes we flirted. We both knew we were flirting, but neither of us could stop,  or wanted to stop for that matter. I just had to wait for the day I could officially call him mine.

Turning back toward the pool I took off my parka and readjusted my tech suit straps.

       "Hey, when you lose again please don't cry like last time. It makes me forget that win the race when you're all pissy." Hannah stated putting on her goggles.

I shook my head and put on my own goggles. Not even bothering to look at Hannah I responded,

      "Hey, when you lose go ahead and cry. It will remind me that I won." I said with a fake smile.

Behind me Luke snorted at my comment, making Hannah turn toward him.

      "Come to cheer me on?" She asked completely ignoring my comment.