39 - Part One

Beginne am Anfang

And some are just like me, dumbfounded expressions, glazed over eyes and parted lips, words with no meaning echoing in ears, still unable to believe the words we're hearing.

Wilbur starts talking about something to do with honour, but my eyes are still fixed onto nothing, shock waves reverberating though me and my empty skull. It feels like the whole fucking universe has imploded and folded in on itself, leaving behind a vapid empty nothing.

Then the shock wears off, and terror sinks down to my bones, chilling me to the heart, freezing the blood like solid ice in my veins. 

Schlatt is president.

And we're all fucked. 

Someone's shaking me, and I seem to wake up out of whatever stupor I was in, eyes leaving the blank nothing that had a captivated me, and instead focusing on the man approaching the microphone. 

He stands there, no emotion crossing his features, standing in a lay about casual manner that just makes me want to fucking scream, as if he isn't about to bring a country to its knees for his own greed, as if he hasn't just ruined it all. 

Wilbur and Tommy make their way down the hill, and Tommy pushes through the crowd of muttering people, shock and betrayal etched on his devastated face. I grab him, trapping him into a tight hug, then pulling him into my side as he just about crushes the bones in my hand in an attempt to hold on to what ever dignity he has left. 

Schlatt taps on the microphone, letting the thudding echo reverberate around the captivated audience, before his collected features break into a self-assured smile that makes me want to claw his face off. 

"Well, that was pretty easy." He brags, so unconcerned and smug its insulting. Quackity shrieks with laughter, and Fundy's face relaxes into triumph. George stays back, mouth pressed into a thin line. 

I don't think I'll ever be able to look at him the same. 

"You know what I said the day I said I was running? An election that I won, by the way. I said, things are going to change. I looked every citizen of L'manberg in the eyes and I said, you listen to me: this place will be a lot different tomorrow." Schlatt continues on, arrogance dripping from every word that leaves his lips. "Let's start making it happen." 

Everybody is rooted to the spot, every pair of eyes fixated on the man in front of us, hanging onto every word he utters. Whether through admiration, or terror, or sheer fucking confusion, he has us all hooked. 

He lets the silence hang for a few seconds longer. "My first decree as the president of L'Manberg, the EMPEROR of this great country-" Schlatt starts to yell, voice cracking under the ferocity of his voice. The calm, confident facade he had curated falters, pure deranged insanity slipping through the cracks. "is to REVOKE the citizenship of Wilbur Soot and TommyInnit!" He finishes cruelly. 

No. 

I whip my head, wide eyed between Tommy and Wilbur, who stand equally as shocked. Schlatt starts to scream even louder. "Get them out of here! Get them out of here! You're no longer welcome!"

"Tommy run, Tommy run!" Wilbur shouts, pushing Tommy from me and grabbing his arm, just as Quackity and Fundy begin firing cross bows at them. People are screaming, hitting the ground as flint tipped arrows whizz over our heads. Wilbur drags a shocked Tommy though the crowd, and they both start running for their lives. I'm still trying to process what the fuck is going on, when an arrow embeds itself in Tommy's shoulder.

"Tommy!" I scream, pushing past the panicking mass of people and sprinting towards them. Any confusion clouding my mind has been incinerated, and there's only one thought, one feeling of hysterical panic as people clad in gleaming armour, brandishing lethal weapons, begin to chase them. I can see Tommy's blonde head, and Wilbur's beanie clad one bobbing as they try and flee. 

"Tommy!" I shriek, as I reach them, pulling Tommy up and shoving him forward. "Run! Fucking run!" I keep pushing him, and he picks up the pace. Wilbur's been hit too, but there's no time, no time to stop and assess. 

They're going to die if they don't get out. 

I shove him in the back again, and his legs finally propel into action. They round the perimeter of the walls, heading towards the forest. Its descended into complete chaos, stampedes of terrified people, screaming and crying and arrows flying. 

I've almost caught up to them when I'm yanked back. I struggle against the hands that are clutching the back my uniform, but they just pull harder, my legs flying out underneath me. The person drags me along the ground, unconcerned with my thrashing body. Tommy and Wilbur vanish from my sight, still under the pursuit from the armoured men. 

The person finally dumps me back in the concrete square before the podium, still packed with people who couldn't get out. I fly to my feet, turning back around, but the person just grips my bicep and tugs, sending me crashing into Niki.

I turn to run again, but the person grabs my shoulders. I look up into pale blue eyes, see the ash blond hair framing his face. 

Punz. Sapnap's friend. 

"Let go of me." I say through gritted teeth. He opens his mouth to say something, when a terrifying scream rings out from the distance, sending me into a frenzy. "Tommy!" I scream desperately back, fighting to get to him, trying to dig my fingernails into Punz's wrists to make him let go. He doesn't even flinch.

"Tommy!" I cry out hysterically, hoping he's ok, that he's alive. And oh my god, he has to be alive, I can't- I can't-

He can't be dead. He can't. 

Niki ends up pulling me back, tears streaming down her face. "They're too far Rose, we just have to hope that they've made it." 

I nod, trying to control my erratic breathing. Punz, apparently satisfied that I'm not going to bolt, turns without another word and walks back off. I cling onto Niki, as we both stand in the now much calmer crowd, the true reality of these turn of events. 

Schlatt's black eyes gleam with so much sick invigoration, that I can see it even from here, His mouth is stretched into an unhinged smile, sharp canines and perfect teeth bared threateningly. What really polishes it all off, is the maniacal laughter that follows, all shrieking chuckles and guffaws, completely crazed in every sense of the word. 

"Oh, that was so easy!" He proclaims, opening his arms out wide as if he was just bestowed a kingdom. "Until further notice, Wilbur Soot and TommyInnit are merely a memory of L'Manberg. A relic of the past. A reminder of the darkest era this country has ever seen." He spits, the disturbed glint in those soulless pools of black only growing stronger. 

The grin grows even wider.  "And I guarantee you all, dear citizens... Tonight, that changes. We are entering into a new period of L'manberg, a period of prosperity! Of strength! Of unity!"

Yeah. We are well and truly fucked. 

--------

A/N I know a lot of people wanted COCONUT 2020 to win, but I've got angst to write people! More fallout will spill out over onto the other chapters, however the next one will be a direct continuation of this one! I had to split them up because it got to like 6,000 words and this is a good place to end. 

I hope you all enjoyed and stay tuned for part 2, it should be out tomorrow or the day after! :)

Oopsies x