Chapter Twenty Three Reforged

Aragorn
I couldn't sleep. It had been several days since I last saw Farrien... though my bracelet did not hurt me, I figured she must be alright with Gandalf...
I was asked to go to Theoden's tent so I did. I wondered what it was about when I saw a figure cloaked. Theoden turned to me.
"I take my leave," he said as he left me alone with the stranger. But it wasn't a stranger after all. The figure turned and pulled back his cloak revealing pointed ears.
"My lord Elrond," I said, trying not to sound surprised.
"I come on behalf of whom I love," he stated as my mouth hung open.
"My lord I did not mean to offend you," I started to say.
"You have not, though I wish you had been more open with me... I heard what gift Lady Galadriel gave you and Farrien... I should have seen this coming," he sighed.
"But what will you do about King Thranduil?" I asked.
"I've dealt with him a long time... I will figure something out with him."
"You ride to war, not victory. Sauron's armies March to Minis Tirith, this you know. But in secret he has sent another force that will attack from the River. A fleet of corsairs ships sails from the south. They'll be in the city in two days. You're outnumbered. You need more men." Gee, like I didn't know this already...
"There are none," I sighed.
"There are those who dwell in the mountain," he suggested. He couldn't be serious! Those traitors?!?
"Murderers? Traitors? You would call upon them to fight? They answer to no one! They believe in nothing!" I spat. Elrond shook his head and pulled back a cloak.
"They will answer to the king of Gondor!" He said. It revealed a sword that was once broken. I couldn't believe it.
"Anduril, the Flame of the West... forged from the shards of Narsil," he exclaimed. I took the sword from him as I gazed at it.
"Sauron will not have forgotten the sword of Elendil," I said.
"The blade that was broken shall return to Minis Tirith." I couldn't help myself as I gripped the sword hilt in my hands.
"Put aside the Ranger Aragorn, and become the king you were born to be!" I felt the metal as I held my ancestral sword.
"If you do this, you may marry Farrien," he added quietly as I stood shocked. The sword suddenly felt heavier.
"I will do it for her, my lord," I said sternly.

Note: I'll be gone for a few days next week so I'm not sure when my next update will be yet. 6/22/21