The Race Of My Career

Start from the beginning

Luke rolled his eyes.

      "No, I came to cheer Camilla on." He said using my full name while taking a step closer to me.

Hannah raised and eye brow and looked straight into my soul.

     "lets be honest Camilla, It doesn't matter how much he likes you. He'll be taking home the winner no matter what." She said in her girly voice trying to get under my skin.

I looked at Luke, who had the most fed up look on his face. I knew that Hannah was trying to get under my skin before the race. I also knew it was never going to work.

I shook my head and turned toward Luke,

     "Tell me my time?" I asked with a small smile.

He smiled back and shook his head.

     "Yeah." Was all he said before I turned toward the block.

     "The girls final 100 butterfly! In lane one we have...." the annoncer continued but I blocked him out, now was time to focus.

My heart beating fast, my body itching to get into the water I put my hands on the corner of the block ready to get on it. Focusing on my breathing, I shut my eyes for a split second picturing my race... there was no way I was going to lose.

      "In lane 4 we have Camilla Westphal!" Said the annoncer.

The crowd got loud after my name was said, people from my school were shouting and screaming words of encouragement and somewhere in that clump I could hear my dad.

     "In lane 5 is Hannah Slides!" People from Hannah's school went crazy as Hannah lifted her arms up to them... Everyone was here to watch the rematch of the 100 fly, I was just hoping I could swim the race they came to see.

     "Quite for the start" one official said. Causing the pool to fall into an  Erie silence. I swear I could hear my heart beating.

      "100 yard butterfly! Four lengths of the pool... Mr. Starter." The official said pointing to the starter.

      "Swimmers step up!" His voice scratchy, coming out of the microphone.

I let out a breath of release, my nerves temporarily leaving my body as I stood up on the block. My toes curling around the edge, I looked down at the water below me.

Just remember everything Luke taught you and you'll be fine, I thought.

    "Swimmers take your mark."

Just remember...

BEEP

My body reacting like a swimmers body should, I dove into the water starting a long stream line. Under the water everything is quite. My vision focused on the black line at the bottom of the pool. Releasing small pockets of air from my noise I breach. My arms swinging in a fly like motion taking the first few strokes of the 100 fly.

I felt amazing, each stroke was clear and clean. I was pressing my t-zone exactly how Luke showed me. Coming up to the wall, I two hand touched and turned fast. In my stream line I could see Hannah swimming in the corner of my eye. She was right there giving me a race, so I kicked harder making each up and down kick count. Breaching for the second 25 I took a quick breath lifting my head enough to see Luke cheering for me at the end of the lane, making me swim faster. Keeping my rhythm I kept swimming. Two strokes, breath, two strokes, breath.

Reaching my second wall I turned, my ears hearing Luke's voice shout down at me.

     "Go!" Was all I had time to comprehend before I was back underwater for a streamline. I took 3 dolphin kicks when I realized I couldn't see Hannah next to me.

Internal panic hit me... was she that far ahead of me? Did I lose the race? I could feel my breathing pick up and my strokes get choppy as I panic’d. Quickly calming myself down I had to remind myself to focus on me and only me. I recovered and fell back into place. Pressing and staying in the rhythm. My arms moving above the water in smooth motions.

Somewhere in the stands as I took a breath I heard my dad cheer for me, and Coach yell his classic BOO! BOO! Flip turning I could clearly hear, for a split second, how loud the crowd was... It didn't faze me as I went back under water for my last 25.

Focus... focus. This was the 25 that could make or break this race. I can't get tired, I can't give up. Here it was either all or nothing. Yes, my legs burned, and my shoulders were on fire, but that didn't mean I could stop. No. That meant I would swim harder.

Stroke, stroke, breath.

Think of the record

Stroke, stroke, breath.

Think of beating Hannah.

Stroke, stroke, breath.

Think of Luke....

I kicked harder my body inching closer to the flags, closer the the pad. God I had to win, I had too.

Reaching the flags I buried my head and swam. Moving my body forward with great force.

Three more strokes...
Two more strokes...
One more stroke...

The tips of my fingers collided with the pad, then my full fingers, followed by the palm of my hand. Hands colliding with the pad, my body came to a full stop.

The race of my career was finally over.

Word count: 1590