2.17

Dylan is now slowly strapping a flak jacket up to Evi. He is wearing one himself. Cristina is already wearing a flak jacket and squeezing the ambu bag.

"You realize how stupid that was." Dylan comments from behind Evi.

"It was. Incredibly stupid!" Cristina says.

"Ok you know when you don't need to be made fun of?" Evi says looking in Cristina's eyes. "Like when you've got your hand inside a body that's got a bomb in it and a stranger is Velcro-ing a flak jacket to your boobs. Stop touching my boobs!" She snaps.

"Okay." Cristina says seeing the frantic look in Evi's eyes.

"You've got a sense of irony." Dylan says.

"Only when things are really ironic." Evi says. She turns to Cristina. "I had a feeling. I wanted to stay in bed, but no- Cristina had to drag me out of it."

Cristina shoots Evi a look.

"What's that?" Dylan asks.

"Nothing." Evi says.

Burke walks up to Cristina. "Time for you to go." He says in a low voice.

"No, I'm staying." Cristina says.

"There's nothing more you can do here. We've got it covered." Cristina doesn't move. "Cristina, this is not another clueless surgery. This ammo can go off at any time and kill everyone in this room. Do you get that? You can not be in here."

"Do you think this is about surgery-"

Burke interrupts more adamant than ever and whispers into her ear. "Cristina I can not do this with you in here! I can not think!"

Cristina just looks to Evi.

"We'll be fine." Evi says trying to convince herself.

Cristina just stares. "It's okay."
Cristina nods and Burke takes over for her.

"You know in the movies how there's always the heroes and then there's the other guy? You know the guy who sees danger and runs in the opposite direction?" Cristina says to Burke.

"Yes." He answers.

"Be the other guy."

Evi watches them teary-eyed. Cristina leaves the OR. Evi takes another deep breath to calm herself.

"So you have a plan right?" She asks Dylan. she nods to herself. "You have a way to get me out of this right? Alive I mean?" He just stares back at her.

•.•

"Is this the strangest thing that's ever happened in your OR?" Evi asks Burke.

Burke nods. "I'd have to say that it is."

"Good, cause I'm very competitive."

"All the best surgeons are." Burke says.

Evi nods her head biting down on her jaw.

"If-if I die. You- you have to tell my mother I said I love her-" Evi starts but gets cut off by Burke.

"You're not gonna die Evi." He says. "I'm not gonna let you die."

"Really? Because I feel like I'm gonna die." She says.

"You're my guy. I'm not gonna let my guy die." Burke tries to convince.

"Just-just tell my mom I love her okay? But she doesn't speak English very well so you have to be patient." Evi says.

"And tell Fletcher we can go out to dinner in heaven or something." She says.