"The goods being transported are precious and cannot come in contact with anything.... undesirable" Kalan answered locking eyes with Ann,

"Are they relics or something along the likes?" Jade asked Kalan.

Relics were ancient artifacts with powerful magic created by mages with infinite affinity. A staggering number of relics have been uncovered across the continent in the past few years following the various archaeological excavations funded by the royal family.

Since then, Orion has become the hotspot for relics. Although relics with tremendous magic could help people in improving their living conditions, in the wrong hands it could lead to destruction.

Orion's monopolization on relics, led to illegal smuggling and auctions in the black market. There have also been incidents of relics going berserk and levelling buildings to dust.

"Yes. There is an Orian relic among other things" Kalan answered Jade and turned back to Ann.

"You could say that they are one of a kind. So we need people we could place our trust on"

"Six thousand gold coins and we'll stop two cities before Napal" Ann said and took another sip of her coffee.

"Six thousand gold coins and escort till Napal" Elijah changed the terms.

"Seven thousand and three cites before Napal"

"Seven thousand gold coins and escort till Napal"

"Eight thousand gold coins and we'll stop three cities before Napal" Ann put down her cup and smiled at Elijah.

"We can keep going like this till we reach the border"

"Wha... You are being unreasonable"

Elijah looked at Raeden for support. But Raeden ignored his pleading gaze and concentrated on the coffee in his hand.

"Don't look at him" Ann snapped her fingers in front of Elijah's face, making him flinch and look at her.

"If it's an ancient Orion relic. Then why is it in Velven? Or to be precise, why is it in your hands?"

"We can't go into details" Elijah cleared his throat, "We bought it in a black market auction in the capital"

"Really? Then how can we be sure that you're not the one illegally smuggling it?"

"I'm happy to see the trust you have on my poor soul Ann..." Elijah sulked, heartbroken by her distrust in him.

"Tsk.... Stop bullying him" Jade interrupted, fed up by the constant arguments.

"I know what you're doing"

Sparks started to fly between Jade and Ann.

"You're a party pooper" Ann stuck out her tongue towards an irritated Jade.

Although Ann's words made sense, Jade knew her too well to the point that he could understand her true intentions.

Ann and the twins were pissed at Elijah for bringing back Raeden two days earlier than scheduled and ruining their fun time. It was evident from the way Noah and Oliver were snickering while making eye contact with Ann.

"But what she's saying is right. Transporting illegal goods is a high offense"

"That won't be a problem"

Kalan placed a piece of paper on the table.

It was a certificate of authenticity issued by the royal family of Velven.

"A black market object has a certificate issued by the royal family?" Raeden asked Kalan.

"After the auction, the place was raided by the royal knights. I was able to acquire the object legally"

"Ahem. Now that all the doubts have been cleared. Let us sign the contract" Elijah pulled out a document from his robes and spread it on the table.

"This is a standard document from the guild. Just sign it here and I'll handle the rest"

"Not so fast, discount Aladdin. Wait till I read through every nook and cranny of this contract"

'There is no way I'm gonna sign anything without reading it'

Ann picked up the contract in her hands and started reading. Having suffered from negligence once, she had no intention to fall prey to it again.

Everyone focused on Ann as she continued to read through the pages, her eyes traced every line not leaving a single word present, while she occasionally asked Raeden some clarifications.

"The contract is ok. Just change the fee and the destination point. Then we're good to go" Ann smiled and pushed the papers towards Elijah.

"And the fee?" Elijah asked hesitantly.

"Hmmm.... It's as I said eight thousand gold coins. But since you are a friend I'll give you a special discount Mr.Kalan" Ann smiled brightly.

"It's seven thousand nine hundred and ninety nine gold coins only."

"Oh... we stop three cities before Napal. That would be Parthellam.... I guess. I'm not sure though" Ann closed her eyes and recalled Orion's overall territory map inside her head.

"But that's a complete ripoff" Elijah exclaimed.

"It's the price. Take it or leave it" Ann shrugged.

"We'll agree to your terms" Kalan said to Raeden and then nodded at Ann.

"Alright then, my job is done here. You can go ahead and discuss all the other boring stuff with Raeden" Ann stood up and extended her hand as a sign of goodwill.

"Pleasure doing business with you, Mr.Kalan"

"The pleasure is mine" Kalan followed suit and took her hand.

With that the contract between the Nero mercenaries and Kalan was signed.

One month later, Angelica regretted signing a contract for the second time in her life.