Prologue

Prologue

I'd been having a good day up until that moment. I remembered it clearly; it had been the first day back at school, the year before I graduated and I was so ecstatic that I had another year to make my own.

We'd been sitting at our favourite lunch spot under the large maple tree, my best friend and I, talking about silly things and laughing at how neither of us could ever manage to take off our mascara before bed and how we ended up waking in the morning to look like a freakin' pandas. It was a time that had me feeling free and weightless, and it was a good thing since it took a lot for me to feel that way anymore. Ruby always had a way of making life seem so much simpler and was the only one that made me feel that way. I think that's why I loved her so much.

But it wasn't until after we noticed that everyone around us had gone quiet that our giggles were suddenly muffled by the fact that everyone was acting so strange. Ruby had looked at me as if she thought the whole school had gone crazy, even made a face to illustrate just how weird it was and I had to silently agree with her. It was weird. All heads were looking in the direction of the school doors and neither of us had been able to see a thing from the ground, so we stood up to gain perspective and see what all the fuss had been about.

Bad idea. Ruby gasped when she saw that her brother was the one standing before everyone. Her face froze and I realised then that the expressions on everyone's faces had been of pure shock. They were like zombies looking at a ghost. Hell, he'd even looked like a ghost.

But I wasn't going to be one of them, still in a crowd, and I couldn't be shocked. I just couldn't have done it. All this anger and fury that had been buried within me for far too long just wanted to get out, deep down nothing ever got rid of that betrayal of leaving us behind.

The only thought going through my head at the time was that he was going to know just how much it hurt me, and so, because I wasn't the same girl he'd left two years ago, I strode determinedly up to him.

This is my story of how James Phillip managed to open a door back my into my life.

---- 

------- 

So... My first story slowly progressing. Please comment and write what you think! Good, bad, cliche (I hope not). Anyway, anything to help! 

xx