Chapter 12 - Percy feeds a goat an apple

Start from the beginning

I felt jealousy gnaw at me. I wasn't jealous that his mom died, but that he had a mom at all. Sure, I had my dad, but he'd never loved me. Not like Percy's mom did. He didn't try to protect me, try to help me through the monster attacks. He hated me, feared more for his family than for me. Feared me.

Percy looked as downcast as I felt. We needed to cheer up or this quest would fail before it even started. It didn't help that it also was pouring down rain, making the mood even gloomier. I racked my brains for something to do, then my eyes fell on Grover's bag.

"Why don't we play some Hacky Sack?" I suggested, trying to sound as upbeat as I could.

Grover readily agreed, diving into his bag to fish out an apple. Percy looked reluctant at first, but then he really got into the game. He wasn't bad but he was still clumsy, the apple occasionally flying off after a mis-hit. I won every game as I could bounce the apple off every part of my body. I didn't bother tell them that I'd spent hours perfecting this when I was traveling with Luke and Thalia. It was out only source of entertainment back in those days. Grover was the worst. He could barely control the apple and he accidentally ended the game by gulping the apple down whole.

Percy and I cracked up, holding our sides with laughter as Grover tried to apologise. The sight of his blushing, ashamed face just made me laugh more as I remembered his excited, wide-mouthed look as the apple tumbled to it's doom.

The bus arrived and Grover suddenly became more alert and wary, sniffing the air suspiciously. My stomach dropped. He only ever did that when monsters around.

"What is it?" Percy asked.

"I don't know," Grover answered warily, not wanting to scare Percy. "Maybe it's nothing."

It was obvious Percy didn't believe him. Grover was such a bad liar that even Percy could see through him. He looked suspiciously around while Grover sent me a distressed look. I shook my head, telling him no. We'd sort it out somehow.

We boarded the bus and got seats at the back together. Our backpacks got stowed away but I kept my cap in hand. I wasn't going to let that go, not when danger was so close.

The last passengers got on and I felt a chill down my spine. Three women had just got on, all wearing crumpled velvet dresses, paisley handbags, shapeless knitted hats and lace gloves. They looked like wrinkled grandmothers that have broken out of prison after murdering the guards. The truth wasn't far from that.

I remembered the last time I'd met them. If it was possible, they looked even worse now than they did back then. Maybe because last time I'd been seven and too terrified out of my wits to realise what was going on around me.

I grabbed Percy's knee and nodded towards the Furies. The blood drained out of his face and he sunk down in his seat. The Furies sat in the front seats and the two on the aisle crossed their legs to make an X as the bus started. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to realise what it meant: no one leaves.

"She didn't stay dead long," Percy quavered. "I thought you said they could be dispelled for a lifetime."

"I said if you're lucky," I corrected him. "You're obviously not."

"All three of them," Grover whined. "Di immortales!"

I was thinking hard. There had to be some escape.

"It's okay," I said. "The Furies. The three worst monsters from the Underworld. No problem. No problem." I knew I was rambling but my mind was working overtime. "We'll just slip out the windows."

"They don't open," Grover moaned.

"A back exit?" I asked.

Grover shook his head miserably.

"They won't attack us with witnesses around," Percy said hopefully. "Will they?"

"Mortals don't have good eyes," I told him. "Their brains can only process what they see through the Mist."

"They'll see three old ladies killing us, won't they?"

"Hard to say," I answered, my mind in turmoil as I thought about escape routes and his question. "But we can't count on mortals for help. Maybe an emergency exit in the roof . . . ?"

We drove into the Lincoln Tunnel and the bus went dark and silent. Alecto, the main Fury, the one Percy knew as Mrs Dodds, suddenly stood up.

"I need to use the restroom,"she announced to the bus in a drone-like voice.

"So do I," said Megaera.

"So do I," said Tisiphone.

They started coming down the aisle just as an idea burst into my head.

"I've got it," I said. "Percy, take my hat."

"What?"

"You're the one they want," I explained hurriedly. "Turn invisible and go up the aisle. Let them pass you. Maybe you can get to the front and get away."

"But you guys -"

"There's a chance they might not notice us. You're a son of one of the Big Three. Your smell might be overpowering."

"I can't just leave you."

I had to admit, he was brave. And loyal. But that wasn't going to help now.

"Don't worry about us," Grover said. "Go!"

Percy looked worried, but I thrust my cap at him, forcing him to take it. He gave us a final reluctant look before slipping it on and disappearing. I'd done it hundreds of times myself, but it was strange seeing someone else do it.

But I didn't have time to mull over it. I just hoped that my plan would work.