Chapter 52

On the way back to the graveyard Kaz explains to me what happened what happened with Jesper's father

On the way back to the graveyard Kaz explains to me what happened what happened with Jesper's father. At certain parts of the story I gasp and cover my mouth, "so he is at the tomb?" I ask as we step off of the boat. Kaz nods his head and I follow him through the different graves, this is going to be so awkward. How much does he know? Does he know anything? For some reason I am nervous as we reach the entrance of the tomb but I shake myself out of it, everything will be fine.

Inside I can't help but go wide eyed as I take in the sight of Jesper's father. Colm Fahey looks like his son, both broad shoulders and dark skin but where Jesper has dark hair his father has red, I can't help but stare. Jesper clears his throat when he sees me and his dad turns around, he frowns at me, clearly uncomfortable being here so I plaster a friendly smile on my face and step forward "you must be Mr Fahey. I am Salem one of Jesper's friends" we shake hands and he visibly relaxes slightly "pleasure to meet you Salem" he greets and I nod my head "Jesper has told me a lot about you" I lie. Jesper has in fact never mentioned his father, I know nothing about him.

Kaz turns sharply to Jesper ignoring the adult in the room "were you followed?" he asks, "no" Jesper replies shaking his head in defence. I step away from Mr Fahey "Wylan?" I ask, Colm frowns again "you doubt my son's word?" I roll my eyes and Jesper steps in "it isn't personal Da. they doubt everyone's word" Kaz's expression is unruffled but his voice is cold and calculated sending a shiver up my spine "apologies, Mister Fahey. A habit one develops in the Barrel. Trust but verify" this seems to shut him up. Matthias mutters something underlies breath but I cam't hear it and Kaz presses "Wylan?" Wylan sets his satchel on the table, his red hair a mess "if they'd known about the passage, the would have followed us or had people waiting in the printing shop. We lost them" I let out a sigh of relief and let my hair down from where I tied is up earlier.

"I counted about ten on the roof" Kaz says and Matthias nods in confirmation. "sounds right" says Jesper "but I can't be sure. They had the sun at their backs" smart, so we are not dealing with anyone naive, these are professional hit men. I move and sit next to Nina, she shares her blanker with me and hands me the packet of cookies. Kaz sits down as well, far enough away from me that when he stretches his leg out he doesn't hit me, he keeps his beautiful dark eyes on Jesper's father "you were the bait" this makes him hesitate, not sure how to react "pardon, lad?" he doesn't believe it. "the bank called in your loan?" I ask confirming the story Colm blinks in surprise "well, yes, as a matter of fact, they sent me a rather sternly worded letter that I'd become an unstable risk. They said that if I didn't pay in full, they would be forced to take legal action" he turns to Jesper "I wrote to you Jes" my heart aches for this mans innocence but I just lean back, not showing any emotion.

"i...I haven't been able to collect mail" Jesper sounds embarrassed, ashamed he is kind of lying to his father. If only I had a father to lie to, shame. "Jesper-" Mr Fahey starts "I was trying to get money Da" The elder Fahey shakes his head "they were threatening the farm" I share a look with Nina. We all know what the farm means to our friend. Jesper looks down at the tiled floor "I was close" he says quietly "I am close" Colm raises his voice then "to the money? We are sitting in a tomb. We were just shot at" I slowly stand up then but Jesper waves his hand at me. Nodding I sit back down but keep my eyes trained on his father. "what got you on a ship to Ketterdam?" Kaz asks Colm looks at him then with a glare "they moved up the collection date" he says, "simply said I had run out of time. I tried to reach Jesper but when there was no reply I thought-" he goes silently and we all know what he means. He thinks Jesper was dead.

"you thought you would see what tour brilliant boy was up to on the dark streets of Ketterdam?" Kaz taunts and I sigh, don't rile him up Kaz Saints the man has been through enough already. "I feared the worst" He admits "the city does have a reputation" I have to bite my lip to keep from laughing, he doesn't even know the half of it. We end up lying for Jesper, about what he is really doing in the dark streets of Ketterdam. I am pretty sure if Colm Fahey knew that his son was one of the ones who broke into the Ice Court he would have a heart attack.

Night has fallen and I am sitting on the docks, on my guard shift. Mr Fahey has gone to the main land and set up in a hotel we have informants in, so we know he is safe. For Jesper's sake more than anything. There is loud music coming from the Barrel and I let out a sigh, the noise of the Barrel reminds me of when I lived in First Army in Ravka. Everyone knowing everyone's business, no one having any privacy and for a moment I miss it. I let myself think about my life in Ravka and what I miss. For one minute. Before I get up off the dock and let Rotty take over the shift, I head into the tomb where everyone is planning. This is my home now, these are my people