Chapter 9

The next day I am out in the courtyard trying to summon lightning when my mind reaches back to last night when the unknown man tried to kill me, every time I close my eyes to picture the lightning all I see is the dagger he held above my head read...

The next day I am out in the courtyard trying to summon lightning when my mind reaches back to last night when the unknown man tried to kill me, every time I close my eyes to picture the lightning all I see is the dagger he held above my head ready to slice my throat and I feel physically sick. Then I remember that he is gone and that I killed him and white hot rage fills me, lightning crashes down in front of me making me jump as well as scaring the horses coming in from the outside world I see The Darkling climbing off of his horse and comes racing for me. Once we meet his eyes roam over me and ask "what happened?" Darla and Karlan are standing behind me and Darla says "someone managed to sneak through her window last night in an assassination attempt but she managed to fend him off" Kirigan's jaw clenches and he says "where is this man?" through gritted teeth. I place a hand on his arm and he looks down at me, "I killed him" I say keeping my voice even and relief floods him, I take my hand off his arm and 'Kirigan says "I was half way to the Fjeda border when I heard, I am rushing back" I smile and step away from him and closer to my friends "I am fine really" he nods and takes a step back as well. "There is an extra bedroom in my quarters you will be staying there from now on" I don't bother to argue but instead I mutter "bloody mother hen" I know he heard me because he laughs.

I clear my throat and stand up straight "I am going to see Baghra" I announce and head across the grounds to where the nagging old woman lives. Inside I tell her that I think I can summon lightning, in response she huffs and falls into a chair signalling for me to show her. I step bak and raise my hands slightly with my palms facing up, this time I keep my eyes open and focused on one of the dark walls of the cave, "I haven't got all day girl" the old woman groans and I take a deep breath letting my veins fill with electricity and a few seconds later lightning strikes from my palms and dances around my body like a silver snake. Baghra sits up, her eyes full of wander ad I am smiling until she wakes me in the side of the leg with her cane causing me to loose focus and the lightning disappears "ouch that hurt" I say rubbing my leg and the woman stands up "you need to be able to focus with distractions around you. Again" and this this where I spend the rest of my day.

In the evening I am sitting in my new bedroom reading a book on the Small Science as part of my training when there is a knock on my door "come in" I call and in come general Kirigan. "general" I greet turning back to my book and he says "call me Aleksander" I pause and slowly look up, "wait, that's your name?" I ask pointedly and he nods coming over to sit next to me. I can't help but laugh and he gives me a confused look "what?" he asks a smile dancing on his lips. I shake my head, closing the book and placing it on my lap "I never thought you would have such a normal name" I admit and he shrugs. We sit in an awkward silence for a while until I ask quietly "were you really so worried that you stopped your mission to come back?"I look up into his brown eyes and he says "I did. Saints I would stop the entire world if it meant you would be safe" my heart starts racing in my chest as we sit just looking at each other until I mutter "oh what the hell" and yank his black Kefta so we lock lips.

We kiss for what seems like forever, pure ice racing between us and he starts to move on top of me and I lie down feeling his arms wrapped around my waist pulling me into him. We pull apart gasping for breath and his eyes are dark, I bite my lip nervously and he cocks his head. I trace the line of his jaw before we connect our lips again, this time his hands wander and I feel his hands against my bare torso, my shirt lifted up. I start tugging at his Kefta when he pulls away, I sigh watching as he tucks a piece of my hair behind my ear, "what's the rush?" he ass his voice thick as though he has just woken up, "I want to know everything about you first" he adds and I raise an eyebrow "like what?" I ask trying to get my breath back. Aleksander thinks for a second before answering "what's your favourite flower?" this makes me laugh and he smiles, letting me sit up. I move my hair from my face and answer "peonies" he nods, kisses me on the cheek and heads for the door. He turns once he reaches it and says "I will see you at dinner" I nod smiling like a crazy person. once he is gone I realise what I have done and mentally curse myself but then again, he isn't a bad kisser.

I get ready for dinner, my lips still tingling from the sensation of having The Dark- Aleksnder's lips on them. Alina comes bursting in, in her beautiful blue kefta and says "we are going to be late and I'm not going until you do" I am then by surprise by the forcefulness of her tone and then I realise "you have been with Baghra today haven't you" she groans, throwing her hands up in frustration "that woman was hitting me with that cane of her and it hurt so much. Did I mention she is an awful person?" she finally releases and I laugh throwing my head back and clutching my chest. I make for her and the door and say "she can be mean but she is one hell of a teacher".

Reaching the dinner hall, I move to sit next to Aleksander and Alina sits with her new found summoner friends. I am glad she is fitting in here better than in the First Army, although we both miss Mal terribly he is better off where he is and we are better off here. I take my seat and he smiles at me "you look wonderful" I give him a smile in return and wait for my food to be tested as I say "I look fine, although I had to redo my hair, it was a complete mess" this makes him choke on his wine, others looking at us weirdly "I wonder how that happened" he says and I tease "yes I wonder" and tuck into my food.

Ivan stands up after a minute, I learned is name since he is one of my new trainers, "news from the Fjerdan front" he says making the room go silent "in the First Army, many casualties in the 18th, 27th and 36th battalions" at the sound of the last number I make eye contact with Alina and I have suddenly lost my appetite, Kirigan looks at me with a concerned look but I just shake my head. it isn't any of my business. "Also, among the dead" Ivan continues, "six Healers, four Inferni and three Heartrenders" the other people in the room seem more upset about that then the dead in the First Army, "the Fjerdans will be no match against a unified Ravka" he rolls up the parchment and leers at my cousin. "Why are you eating figs, hmm? You should be training every waking moment to tear down the Fold" I set my fork down on the table and sit up straight as Alina looks embarrassed "watch your tone Ivan" I say and he turns to me accusingly "and you" he sneers "what are you doing but wearing pretty little dresses and attending some meetings hmm? where is the all powerful Lightning summoner?" in answer I move my chair backwards and Kirigan grabs my wrist in warning.

In reply I shoot electricity into his arm making him pull away with shock, I stand up and face then Heartrender, the whole room silent. I keep my head up high as I answer "you want to know what the two most powerful Grisha in this room are doing?" still silence everyone is watching me. "We are training but we haven't been aware of our gifts as long as you guys have" I look around at all of the grisha at the table "we are learning everything you have had your lives to learn in just a few weeks and I think we are doing a grand job" my eyes rest back on Ivan, "you want to know what I have been doing besides wearing pretty little dresses and going to meetings?" I ask in a mocking tone. he shifts uncomfortably and I cock my head to the side and raise one of my hands, lightning crackle along the roof and dances across the floor, snapping at Ivans feet before climbing around me and forming a crown of lightning on my head. I sit back down gracefully and say "this", that speech managed to shut him up and everyone continues eating. As I finish my meal Aleksander leans over and whispers "that was rather attractive" I blush and hit him on the arm "shut it" I say and we both smile.

A/N: how are you liking the story? I would love some feed back, what you guys want to see and what relationships (romantic or not) you want me to explore with my character Salem :)