Chapter 39

I have picked out a dress and now on my way to meet with the Crows, it took a lot of convincing to let me go off on my own but I don't blame them

I have picked out a dress and now on my way to meet with the Crows, it took a lot of convincing to let me go off on my own but I don't blame them. I disappeared for months just to show up in Fjerda, a country which is at war with my own. I see Nina and Jesper speaking with Inej, the others not in sight, once I reach them I hear the Wraith ask "where at the others?" As I make my appearance known Jesper jumps and I shoot him a wink, "in the road. Kaz told us to let you sleep" Nina answers and I tap her on the shoulder, "could you ask Kaz to come over quickly, I need to talk to him" she looks concerned although doesn't question it but gives me a quick nod.

There is a sudden crackling snap on the road and Inej, feeling jumpy brings out her knives "easy" Nina says "it's Wylan" she visibly relaxes and Jesper starts a signal for the plan to be set in motion. Nina gives my hand a quick squeeze "I hope you are ok" she seems genuine, I nod my head and watch as they head off. A few minutes later Kaz comes into view and when he gets closer I wrap my arms around my body and say "I have a different way in" I notice his mood shift "we need you in the prison" he answers shortly and I bite the inside of my cheek looking down at my shoes "it's my best way of going as an undetected Grisha" I say quietly and I see Kaz's black boots step forward and I look up him.

His dark eyes piercing mine, making my heart flutter in my chest slightly, "can you get to the prison sector in time?" He asks softly and I think back to the lay out of the Ice Court before nodding my head "should be easy" he pulls his har down further on his face "no mourners" he says dipping his head, I return to gesture and say "no funerals"

——

Back with my friends we are getting ready in an inn they booked for themselves, Darla is in a yellow dress with thin straps that reveals her cleavage, her hair up in complicated braids while Karlan is in a regular suit his hair combed back, the neatest I have ever seen it. I let Darla style my hair in a tight, near bun at the top of my head and says "if Genya saw you right now she might die of shock" I smile and look at myself in the mirror.

I do look a little tired, bruises around my eyes and there are cuts and bruises all over my body. A habit from Ketterdam. I shrug and lean back against my friend, looking at us both in the mirror "it's not been that bad". They haven't asked where I have been and I'm not inclined to tell them because I couldn't tell them the truth and I don't want to lie to some of my closest friends.

The clock tower chimes and I stand up straightening my dress "let's get going shall we?" I ask, Karlan offers me his arm and we head down the steps of the inn and out to the carriage. On the ride there Darla tells me all the latest gossip from the little palace and I can feel Karlan staring at me and I frown "you look different" he says moving his head to the side and blushing slightly "good I mean" I smile and find my hand going to my necklace "thank you, that's what Ketterdam does I guess" and I mentally curse. Shouldn't have said that.

The female twin goes wide eyed "you moved to Ketterdam?" She asks shocked and I nod my head leaning back in the carriage, the view passing quickly by us. "But why?" She asks scrunching up her nose "it's so uncouth there" I shake my head, "it's the one place where I don't have to be worried about breaking any rules" this is very true. I didn't realise how so until I said it out loud. First it was the orphanage, Ana Kuya dishing out punishments whenever we broke a rule then it was the First Army and prison as a punishment then finally at the Little Palace and I shudder to think what the punishment would have been if I broke a rule there.

Both Grisha look on me with sadness in their eyes and Darla leans over and takes my hands in hers "whatever your reason for being here tonight, we will help you as best we can" I can see the promise in her eyes and I know she is being genuine, I look over and Karlan dips his head "of course we will" I smile and hold tightly to my friends hands "I would like that"

A/N: I really wanted them to reunite because I loved their friendship. Kaz will forever be my favourite with Salem though x