Chapter 14

I am finished my lesson with Baghra when I am ambushed by Alina "why are you ignoring me?" she asks as I stalk towards the palace, "I'm not" I say quickening my pace, "so why haven't we spoken? I have hardly seen you all day and when I do you walk...

I am finished my lesson with Baghra when I am ambushed by Alina "why are you ignoring me?" she asks as I stalk towards the palace, "I'm not" I say quickening my pace, "so why haven't we spoken? I have hardly seen you all day and when I do you walk in the opposite direction" she says and I roll my eyes. We stop in the main entrance and I snap "for Saints sake Alina. Not everything is about you, we are not cartographers anymore. We have different priorities now meaning our schedules are not the same. Of course you aren't going to see me all day because my schedule is full of fight training, summoner training, war councils and yours is whatever you feel like doing. So I am sorry if I am a little busy" I feel eyes on me and I look around to see other Grisha standing around staring "what are you looking at?" I bark and everyone starts moving again. Shaking my head I brush past my cousin to go to my second dress fitting for the fete, anything to escape that conversation.

"It is going to be a beautiful black dress" the fabrikator tells me and I pull a face, looking at myself in the full length mirror "can it be a different colour?" I ask and she looks up at me confused "is there something wrong with that colour?" she asks innocently and I shake my head stepping down off of the pedestal, "no there is nothing wrong with it, I just want my own colour" the woman nods in understanding and asks "what colour would you like Miss Starkov" I spend a minute puzzling over it before I answer "gray" she nods again and I am sent on my way. I pass servants moving things for the Winter Fete when Karlan catches up to me "isn't this a big fuss for a party?" I ask and the Heartrender shrugs putting his arm through mine "its one the only times a year that we get to show off our gifts to normal people without coming across as snobby" I giggle and look over to him "to be honest, you all come across as snobby anyway" I tease. Karlan pushes me slightly "you're one of us now remember" I nod my head "I'm still getting used to it" there is a pause as we round a corner and he asks "any word from that tracker friend?", I told him and Darla about Mal mostly out of frustration but also so I can talk to someone about him who isn't Alina.

I shake my head and he sighs "well don't give up hope, who could forget such a pretty face" I blush at that and Karlan laughs. Then I spot The Darkling talking to Ivan in the hallway we have just entered and he stares at us, well glares at Karlan. I clear my throat and turn to my friend "want to go raid the kitchen for some food?" I ask and he smirks "I thought you would never ask" and we race to the kitchens.

-------

It is the day of the fete and I have been promised a day to myself until the ball this evening and I am sat by the window watching the different traveling troupes set up for entertainment, I might see if I can go out and watch some of the performances. Before I can even think another though Genya comes bursting in making me jump "I thought I wasn't getting ready until later?" I ask as she sits me down at my vanity and she hands me a mirror. "I thought best to start on you first, your cousin takes forever to tailor since she never stops talking" Genya tells me and I have to bite my tongue to keep from laughing, "I have seen your dress" she says as she curls my hair with the flick of her wrist "its stunning, although I don't think the General will be very happy. I think he expects you to wear black" I roll my eyes and set the mirror down "when have you ever known me to do something that was expected of me?" I ask and she smiles "I guess so". She adds a little blush to my cheeks and makes my eyes sparkle slightly, she closes her pack and sighs "all done" she hugs me from behind "I told you, you were quick to do" I smile and watch her leave.

A few seconds later my friends Karlan and Darla appear and the girl takes me by the hand "where are we going?" I ask as they lead me outside "to the troupes of course, wouldn't want you missing out on anything" she explains and my face lights up with joy "its like you read my mind" I say and the twins share a look. We move around the fete looking at all of the different stalls and wonders they have to offer until I bump into a slightly dark skinned man who drops somethings, I bend over to pick it up and hand it back to him "I am sorry" I apologise and he shakes his head "no problem, Jesper Fahey" he tips his hat making me giggle, I hold my hand out and say "Sal-" before noticing a look from Karlan "Salma Bracosi" I lie smoothly, he takes me hand and kisses it gently making me laugh again. Darla steps forward and says "we really should be going" Jesper stands back and nods "my apologies" and we continue on through the fete.

Half way around the stools I spy Alina and Genya watching a troupe practice their performance for later and I guide my friends away from them, I do not want my good mood spoiled. By the time we get back to the Little Palace, Aleksander is pacing outside of my room he looks up when he hears us approaching and he looks between the three of us "where have you been?" he demands and I just turn to my friends "thank you for the lovely time, I will see you at the event?" they both nod silently and slip away back down the hall. I open the door and head inside, he follows after me "where were you?" he repeats and I glance over my shoulder "my friends took me out to see the entertainment at the fete" I sit down at the vanity and look at my complexion in the mirror, I certainly look different to how I woke up. I have got give that to Genya.

"Are you not aware of the threat to your life? or is it that you just don't care?" Kirigan spits and. I turn to face him, "I am very aware of the threat against my life. If I recall someone tried to kill me in the middle of the night but I am not going to stop living my life just because some people want to end it. Now if that is all you can leave" he steps forward and looks me deep in the eyes "I care for you Salem, more then you think and if we are to rule together we need to be together" e reaches out a hand but I ignore it lifting my head and I retort "then you need to decide" he looks confused and I add "it is me or Alina. You shall not have us both, you need Alina to destroy the fold, I get that but we can not both warm your bed" I take a breath to steady myself and I continue "you need to have made a choice by midnight and after that. Well I guess I shall rule alone" I turn my back on him signalling the end of the conversation as I hear him storm from the room.