Chapter 42

Kaz and I move slowly through the grounds of the Ice Court careful not to raise any alarms, I can see that his leg is giving him pain since he winces every so often and so I raise a finger letting a pulse of lightning dance from my hand to his leg...

Kaz and I move slowly through the grounds of the Ice Court careful not to raise any alarms, I can see that his leg is giving him pain since he winces every so often and so I raise a finger letting a pulse of lightning dance from my hand to his leg, soothing it. I see him relax slightly and I smile, we reach a maze just in time to see some guards racing towards my friends, I raise my arms sure he would want me to do it now but instead looks at me shaking his head. Damn you Brekker. I lower my hands as an explosion sounds and Kaz steps out of the shadows, me following close behind "this is going to sting a bit" he warns holding a whip and I try not to gasp when Nina recognises us and visibly untenses, "but if we live, you'll thank me later" he finishes and pulls of his hood. The Druskellë drop their rifles in shock and I pick one up loading it and aiming it at them. 

"don't pop the baleen before we reach the bottom" Kaz says grabbing the target and launching both of them into the black mouth of the jump below. I share a brief look with Nina before racing after Kaz and jumping down with him. Sometimes I question why I follow this boy into countless death inducing situations without asking why or you know..... just saying no? the water is freezing and I want to gasp for air but know that would be a stupid decision and instead pray I gulped enough before entering the water. The current is strong and it pulls us in a direction I hope is the right way. As you can tell I am hoping for a lot, it doesn't happen often but when I do I really need everything to be ok. 

I try to open my eyes but the water stings them enough I shut them again, I know my body is turning blue from the cold and that if we are in here for any longer I won't survive. I wander how the others are doing? are they still alive? did they jump? is Wylan and Jesper's part of the plan working? where is Inej? on and on the questions go like a vicious cycle in my head. I start to feel light headed and so I press the baleen which will give me a little more oxygen to survive this journey but once it runs out that is it. Game over. 

We are in the water for what feels like hours, the extra oxygen finally depleting and I pray to the Saints everything works out well and then I promise myself that if we make it out of this alive I will give Kaz one hell of a beating. My throat starts to feel tight and I claw at my neck like that will help me breathe better until I can't take it anymore and open my mouth, water filling it and I start to trash around. Saints, please let me survive this. 

I am with my mother again but this time papa is with us and I run and embrace him "oh my little flower" he says holding me tight, "why am I here?" I ask looking at my parents who are staining together, fingers intertwined, mum steps forward her other hand reaching up to cup my face "you have been so brave sweetheart" she says sadness in her eyes and I realise now. I step back shaking my head, tears forming in my eyes "no" I say my voice breaking "this can't be it". My parents look sad "I am so sorry Salem, you drowned honey" papa says and I start crying then. This can't be it can it? what about the prophecy? what about the life I have barely lived? the one I want to keep living?. 

My parents step forward and each offer a hand to me "lets go see about that life you had" papa says and I swallow, at least I get to reminisce before I enter the black abyss. I take each of their hands in my own and they lead me to a door similar to the one I walked through with mum when she was showing me our ancestry. Inside is a living room, a fire in the grate and a smaller version of myself sitting on my fathers lap. We step further into the room and I notice mum sitting by the fire, knitting what looks to be a jumper. "Tell me another one papa" little me says curled up on his lap, papa pats me on the head "not tonight Salem, its late and you and mum are going into town in the morning" I look over to my parents "I don't remember this" I state and mum smiles "of course you wouldn't you were so little" she pauses "this was the night it happened" and I know what she means. The night they died. 

In the next room is the orphanage, little kids running around everywhere until little me and little Alina stop to talk to a little boy. "I'm Malyen" the boy says offering his hand, both Alina and I shake it "but you can call me Mal" he gives us a bright smile. The smile he would later grow into although nether Alina nor I would admit that. "I'm Alina" my cousin introduces us and "this is my cousin Salem" dad rests a hand on my shoulder and gives it a gentle squeeze "this is when I met my best friend" I say quietly and without saying anything they guide me to the next room.

In this one we are in the army base is Kribirsk and I am watching as Alina, Mal and I joke on the way to the first army tents. A shiver goes up my spine when I realise what day this is and what happened the day after that caused so many problems in the future and I suddenly miss how things were back then and feel guilty about how I took all those days with Mal and Alina for granted. If only I could turn back time. 

The next room is darker, a few lanterns dotted around and I know what day this is instantly. Jesper comes rushing out of an open door, one hand on his hat the other on a bag of sweets we stole from a shop in the barrel. A few seconds later I come rushing out with the owner in tow, I bow deeply as Jesper sneaks away "I am terribly sorry for your loss kind sir but I must be on my way" I act innocent and the man warns me never to go back. I smile at the memory of it. The room shifts and its Inej, Jesper, Kaz and I sitting at a round table discussing our next job. Pint glasses all over the table, a sign of a good day, all of us slightly more relaxed then normal and just having a good time. 

The next memory is of Nina and I eating waffles at a restaurant in the respectable part of town, both of us joking and laugh and a few flirty comments exchanged. Nothing out of the ordinary until memory me starts to walk down a empty alley way and my heart starts to race even though I know what is about to happen. "you were so brave in this moment" my mum praises as we watch a man pin me against the wall, I panic slightly before I grab a knife from my side, the one Kaz always insisted I wear and jam it into the guys throat. I feel sick like I did in that moment, the first time I killed someone since the threat on my life in Ravka. After that I went to Kaz's office and he let me cry it out, not saying anything but handing me a cup of hot chocolate to calm me down. 

The last memory is of one of my late night chats with Kaz, we are sitting on the roof of the Crow Club, my knees tucked into my chest and I look up at the cloudy sky. "Do you ever think things would have played out different if I already knew of my power?" I ask breaking the silence, "I don't think so, you have a free spirit. A consciousness that nether I nor the darkling have" I see myself frown at this "why would you ever think you don't have a conscious?" I cock my head and Kaz shrugs "I take what I want when I want and damn the consequences" I feel papa's arm go around my shoulder and I explain "this was the moment I knew I had feelings for him" I pause letting my past self speak. "That doesn't make you harmful though that makes you fierce and brave and more selfless then I will ever be" he looks at me as I look out to the city "what do you mean?" he asks gently and I shrug "you make take what you want but you will protect what you have. He never even did that"

We are back in the room we started in and mum strokes my face again "it isn't your time yet Salem, you still have so many things undone" I smile holding her hand to my cheek and leaning into it "I am so incredibly proud of you" dad says "you are better then I ever hoped you would be.

Choking and gasping for air, I sit up and see the gang surrounding me, worry is etched into Kaz like stone, Inej and Nina have been crying and Jesper, Wylan and Matthias all relax. Jesper sits on then floor beside me "you gave us quite the scare Salem" he says scratching the back of his neck and releasing an awkward laugh. I wince getting myself to stand up "lets get going" I say ignoring Kaz's stare. 

A/N: ahhhhh!!! this was my favourite chapter to write! I hope you all enjoyed it