Chapter 20

Half way through our walk I start shivering and rubbing my hands for warmth, Aleksander notices this and hands me his gloves "here have them" he says gently, snowflakes falling like chalk into his hair, he looks almost regal, I take them softly an...

Half way through our walk I start shivering and rubbing my hands for warmth, Aleksander notices this and hands me his gloves "here have them" he says gently, snowflakes falling like chalk into his hair, he looks almost regal, I take them softly and slide them onto my hands and we continue on our way. Finally we spot deer tracks and a few minutes later, through the trees I catch sight of Alina reaching her hand out to this beautiful white stag, with massive antlers forming the symbol of the Sun Summoner, like it was made for her. My breath is taken away at the sight and I gasp when suddenly an arrow comes flying out of nowhere injuring the magnificent beast.

Alina cries out in shock and we step into the clearing, Mal catches my eye and I look away ashamed we are on two different sides here, it wasn't supposed to end up like this. I stay close to Zoya, trying to keep my hands steady under his gloves. Mal reaches for his gun and tries to shoot one of the guards going up to the stag but he is stopped by Zoya throwing a gust of wind in his direction "that animal is not meant for you" she says flexing her hands and I step to the side, not wanting to hurt anyone on ether side. Mal stands and starts towards the Squaller but is shot with an arrow by Ivan who is now by the stag, Aleksander is no where in sight and I star to panic.

"Mal" Alina shouts getting up from the snow covered ground and Ivan starts to slow Mal's heart rate. In reaction to this I unclench my fists and lightening crackles on my finger tips, he might be fighting on the opposite side but he is still my best friend and I will always protect him. However before I can do anything Alina is already up and moving, blasting light at Ivan and Zoya knocking them to the ground. She whirls to me and I summon lightening, the sound go it crackling in my ears "you don't want to do this Lina" I warn and she is panting as she says "why are you still with him? he doesn't want to destroy the fold he wants to use it- me as a weapon" I look around, still no sign of him.

I turn back to my cousin and ask "how do you know?" she glances between me and the stag "I just know" she replies and I slowly back away, "I love you Alina, you are best family I could ever ask for" I say gently releasing the lightening from my grasp. She understands what I mean and slowly nods tears streaming from her eyes, I give her a sad look as I step into the tree line "take care of each other"I look between her and Mal who is still on the floor hissing in pain before I turn and race into the forest.

--------

Hours later I have made it into a neighbouring town and I start making my way silently through the market. I am not letting myself think about what just happened, what was revealed about the man I was coming to love or what happened after I left, if Mal and Alina are still alive and if they are, are they with the Darkling or did they escape? people are shouting in several different languages, selling their wears when I bump into someone. I catch myself on his arm and say "I am so sorry" looking up his face he seems familiar and I gasp letting him go. The man looks around puzzled and I step forward looking up at his face "you were at the fete weren't you?" I ask and the guy starts bouncing from foot to foot, "Jesper right?" I press and the boy nods his head.

I look around, paranoid before turning back to him "when are you crossing the Fold again?" I ask and Jesper looks at me funny "why would I be crossing that big old nightmare?" he dodges the question and I pull my gloves on tighter. His gloves. "its pretty obvious you aren't from around here" I answer and he starts walking signalling for me to follow, "what was it that gave me away?" he asks glancing down at me quickly "my charm?" I giggle despite the stress I am currently under and answer "your accent actually but I guess the charm too" he flashes me a grin. I ask him if I can hitch a ride with them out of East Ravka and Jesper tells me that he will have to ask his boss, who apparently finds it hard to trust people which is great for me, (note the sarcasm) I just hope I can win him round otherwise I don't know what I will do to get out of here before Aleksander catches up to me.

We reach a little fire pit, two other people sitting around the fire "guys this is Salem" Jesper introduces me, I don't trust hi enough with my last name incase he wants to use me as a bargaining chip with Aleksander. One of the other people at the pit is a girl not much older then I am, petite frame and wearing a dark shawl and the boy is wearing black clothes as well, one of his legs stretched out in front of him, his jawline sharper then I thought possible and when our eyes meet I gasp taking a step back. The man with the cane. That hunt proved easier than I thought it would.

He stands up and comes stalking over to me in the snow "you" he says, our eyes never drifting from one another. Jesper claps his hands together and says "you two know each other, great" there is a pause and he doubles back realising what he just said "what you two know each other" I nod my head and the man in front of me says "she saved my life" I look down remembering the mess that was that encounter and I say "you're welcome by the way". suddenly he offers a gloved hand out and I take it shaking it firmly "Kaz" he says a ghost of a smile on his lips. This just got a lot more interesting.