Chapter 33

Interrogating Ooman was definitely interesting we found out lots of useful information like how Pekka Rollins is the one behind the attack on the docks but he does something else during our questioning that makes him loose both guys

Interrogating Ooman was definitely interesting we found out lots of useful information like how Pekka Rollins is the one behind the attack on the docks but he does something else during our questioning that makes him loose both guys. He called me 'drexk' which means Queen in the language spoken but it's literal is Demon which is kind of ironic. Wylan innocently points this out when Kaz demands to know what it means and what do you know Ooman is now blind and in the ocean.

The sun is setting and I make my way into the cabin, Kaz has gone down to check on Inej, when I get inside I see Wylan sitting on the floor looking at something in his hands. I sit down next to him and nudge his shoulder gently "hey" I greet and he looks up, his eyes a picture of sorrow "I didn't mean to do anything bad" he tells me after a short pause and I know he is talking about how he told Kaz the literal translation from a long ago dead language. I shake my head and bunch my legs up of my chest, feeling the sway of the boat under me "it's ok Wylan, he was going to do that to him no matter what you said" it's true, I could already see that look on his face that tells me his about to do something rash.

Wylan scratches the back of his neck before answering "I don't think so. People are always talking about you and him. How you are almost like the King and Queen of the Barrel, no one would dare mess with you afraid to suffer Kaz's wrath and only the truly powerful in Ketterdam would try for Kaz since they don't know you that well" that sends a jolt of something through my body and I think back to the Myth of myself I read in the Little Palace so long ago. King and Queen, maybe that wasn't supposed to be a literal meaning but more metaphorical, like being notorious without actually ruling.

Without saying anything I rest my head on his shoulder and I feel him tense up "tell me about yourself, what your childhood was like" I say wanting a distraction from the thoughts of prophecies and myths. Wylan does just that and soon enough I fall into a sleep.

I'm in a room I don't recognise, a woman sits next to me on the sofa, my mother. I smile "mum" I say and she turns to face me, she is the picture of beauty, younger then when I saw her last. She gently strokes my head "my sweet Salem" she says and we embrace. She smells of sunflowers and freshly backed bread "oh how so much has changed since we have last spoken" we pull away and I have to ask "what is this place?" She sighs and straightens her skirt "this is the place where the myth began" I frown and together we stand.

I look around "I don't understand" she takes my hand in hers "you will. In due time my love" and she leads me through a door leading outside, there is a little girl chasing a butterfly in the garden, she is giggling crazily and my mother explains "she is our ancestor. Andromeda Falrz, she was like you. Kissed by lightning, the most powerful Grisha of her time" we watch as she starts to climb a tree and a woman comes out, screaming at the little girl for her to climb down.

We then watch as she grows up and when Andromeda gets to the same age as me I gasp "we look exactly the same" which is true, not a single difference to be seen. Mum keeps her hand in mine and gives it a gentle squeeze "all those years ago she fell for a man" a man comes into view and I instantly recognise him. Aleksander. We watch as their romance blossoms and I frown "what happened?" We walk through another door and she explains "Andromeda was betrothed to someone else a noble" we watch as she marries this man.

"They had five children, Marina, Orion, Laura, Brandon and Carlisle. For many years they lived together happily. Andromeda content to living a normal life" we watch as time passes. My heart aches for that kind of peace, then everything goes dark, "however, Aleksander came back from waging war with other countries and found Andromeda in this new life for herself and he wasn't angry" light appears again and there sits my ancestor in a tower, sitting on the floor "he snatched her away and kept her locked up so she would never leave him again" I shake my head. This is awful.

"She died not long after. The people in the town knew of her and wrote of a dark Prince and a light Queen falling in love, if things had been different they would have ruled the town together. The story was to hide the true awfulness of the crimes The Darkling committed and give hope to those in the town" mother takes a pause "it involved into a myth, people believing that this Lightning Summoner would rule Ravka, the Darkling by her side. The story changed over time but the real myth remains" there is silence for a second, my heart hammering in my chest.

"The lightning summoner is always bound to never know peace, once her power is revealed she will always face threats whether that is of her own making or someone else's. She will always attract darkness but one true love will always challenge that darkness" I am about to say something when pain strikes through me.

And I gasp awake.

A/N: I hope everyone liked the background on Salem's family and the truth behind the myth I thought it would be interesting to have The Darkling more contested to her. Let me know what you think!!