Chapter 24

We move through the Fold for a couple of minutes before we jerk to a halt, they all look over to me clearly expecting me to say this is normal but it isn't but I know exactly what it is

We move through the Fold for a couple of minutes before we jerk to a halt, they all look over to me clearly expecting me to say this is normal but it isn't but I know exactly what it is. Volcra. "So whats our play?" Jesper asks holding one of his pistols up, eager for a fight, Kaz is gazing up at the swaying light on the ceiling and answers "we wait" Jesper and I frown "for wha?" he asks and Kaz looks towards us and then Inej "for whatever the general has planned" I frown and stand up from where I was sitting on a pile of boxes, "you can't be serious" I say throwing up my hands in frustration.

Jesper sucks in a breath and I fold my arms as Kaz turns to look at me "oh I'm deadly serious" he says sounding almost bored, I scoff and roll my eyes "I guess I shouldn't be surprised. A criminal thug only looking out for himself. I bet if we were up on that deck with the others you still wouldn't do anything" then Kaz comes walking towards me. His cane slams down on the ground and we are face to face, inches from one another "you are only here because you are useful to me, if you cease being so I will have no trouble ending your life" he seethes and I cock my head amused, I have dealt with more dangerous men so I lean in so our noses are barely touching and say back "I would like to see you try". Jesper whistles softly to cut the tension in the room and I step away from Kaz who has a new look off application in his eye, "consider this scenario" he says talking to all of us now "the Sun Summoner fled from his palace, now she is tied to the deck. We're sailing for a city where another Ravkan general hired Arken to kill her. And I saw his face as he boarded" his voice drops to a whisper "I know that look. He's a man consumed with vengeance" my heart starts racing as I think of the possibilities The Darkling has, even more so if he managed to get that amplifier around Alina's neck.

"See it enough in the mirror, do you?" Jesper asks solemnly and Kaz gives him a look, "so" Jes continues "what kind of revenge is he planning, exactly?" I bite my tongue hard by accident and wince as a metallic taste fills my mouth "I think I know" I answer but before I can elaborate Kaz starts talking about how the Sun Summoner is important and how we need control over her if we are going to get out safely and after a pause he says "we need to threaten her life" my eyes go wide and I say "what!?" along with two other people. We all turn sharply and standing there in the partial darkness is Mal being held at gun point by Inej, both of them shocked by what Kaz has just said.

Something inside me eases as I see Mal, a little worse for wear but still alive at least. "Salem what are you doing here?" he asks spying me standing next to Kaz, "you two know each other?" Jesper asks looking between me and the tracker, I nod and make to step forward when Kazans stops me with his cane and when I look over to him he whispers "we don't know what his intentions are" I snort and whisper back "from threatening my life to trying to save it? good character development" he gives me a side eye and straightens his can again when he is sure I am not going to go over to him. "Who is this?" Jesper asks his gun out, "who are you?" he repeats when Mal doesn't answer and Inej then answers for him "a stowaway. Why pick this of all skiffs?" she pushes the gun further into his head making us both wince.

"To kill the general and save Alina" Mal finally answers his voice full of conviction, "I'll ask again" Jesper says cocking his gun and my heart rate starts to speed up "who are you?" before anyone else can react I step forward and in between Jesper and Mal, answering for him "his name is Malyen Oretsev, you can trust him" I lock eye contact with the Zemeni boy and Kaz stalks over, brushing past me. "You know Alina?" He asks softly and I turn to face them, my body shaking with nerves, "I do" Mal shakes his head and looks at me "I know Salem too" my heart jumps slightly at the kindness in his voice.

"Who's in control of her?" Kaz demands harshly and Mal replies "the general I'm going to kill" I almost feel sorry for him because honestly, Mal doesn't stand a chance against Aleksander. "Inej give him his gun" he orders the other girl and reluctantly she does and Mal relaxes slightly. While we waiting for something above us to happen I go and stand with Mal "what are you doing with them?" he asks nodding his head towards the Crows who are sitting further away, I notice Inej shaking her head and Jesper's nose scrunch and Kaz's, what I know now as, scheming face. "They are giving me safe passage out of Ravka" I answer and my friend scowls "why would you want that" sighing I push my hair from my face and answer "because everyone here has a version of me that they want. The king and queen, you and Aline, all of you want me to be that sweet little girl that didn't know she was a Grisha" I take in a breath "the rest of Ravka wants me to be some badass warrior Queen that will rule their country" I glance over to the Crows "but they, and the rest of the world don't care who I am. that's what I need"