Chapter 3

"Attention! Everyone get in your positions!"

The guards in the chamber got into their positions at the orders of their commander. "General Link is here to observe," he said, "he will be watching you during training. I expect every single one of you to behave and show him who the best squadron in the Royal Guard is! Am I clear?"

"Sir, yes, sir!" the guards shouted. As the commander had said, Link spent all morning observing the guards during training. Among the soldiers, one of them caught his attention. While the other soldiers would attack one target at a time, this soldier would take three with one single slash of his sword. "Commander Talon, who is that soldier?" Link asked. "Oh, a recruit," Commander Talon replied, "he just joined this morning, but I must say he has remarkable skills. Who knows, maybe he could function as your daughter's knight if you do not mind me saying that."

"Call your soldiers back in position," Link ordered. "Yes sir," Talon nodded, "Attention! Positions, now!"

The guards then returned rapidly to their previous positions. "You, rookie!" Commander Talon pointed at the new soldier with his halbert, "Up and front, soldier! General, all yours."

Link noticed that the soldier seemed nervous. "What is your name, recruit?" he asked, but there was no response. "Hey! The general is speaking to you!" Talon shouted, "Tell him your name!"

The soldier remained silent, lowering his head. "Well, you won't tell the general your name?" Talon asked, "You do know who you're standing in front of, right?"

"Y-Yes, sir," the soldier said. "Name, now," Talon commanded. "R-R-Richard, sir," the soldier said nervously. "Well, Richard!" Talon said, "You just embarrassed your squadron in front of General Link, Champion of Hyrule! Do you realize what you've done?"

"Richard, what an unusual name," Link said, approaching the soldier, "such name hasn't been heard in quite a long time in Hyrule, isn't that right, Princess Rhiannon?" He removed the helmet off the soldier's head, revealing his daughter's long golden hair. "Father!" she shouted, "I can explain!"

"P-Princess Rhiannon?!" Commander Talon gasped, "S-Sir, I had no idea... Please accept my sincerest apologies."

"Rhiannon, wait for me outside," Link commanded, "you and I must talk."

"Yes, father," Rhiannon sighed, walking towards the exit. "I should be the one apologizing, commander," Link said, "my daughter...she tends to do stuff like this.'' He then headed towards the exit of the chamber, where Rhiannon was waiting. She had her head lowered, her back against the wall. When Link walked out, she tried to avoid her father's glare. "Well," he said, "will you explain?"

"I just wanted to train a little," Rhiannon replied, still not facing him, "we haven't trained in a while because mother won't let us. I thought sneaking in as a soldier would help."

"Listen, Rhiannon," Link sighed, "I don't like that you and your mother are falling apart. She just wants the best for you. You also have to come to terms with the fact that as Princess of Hyrule, you have a duty, which is to protect the kingdom from annihilation."

"But why can't I do it as you did?" Rhiannon asked, "I don't want to sit in cold water for hours waiting for something, I wanna go out and fight! Why can't I just wield a sword? Why can't I have a sword of my own like you?"

"It's not that easy, Rhiannon," Link replied, "The Master Sword wasn't made for me, I was just lucky enough to be chosen by it. My responsibility as Champion is to protect Hyrule. Our responsibility as the Royal Family is to defend Hyrule at all costs."

"And why can't I defend it by fighting?" Rhiannon asked, "Why do I have to wait for a miracle?"

"Let's make a deal, okay?" Link sighed, "I'll give you any training you want. We can even go around Hyrule to learn other fighting styles, but you must promise not to tell your mother, deal?"