Your String of Lights is Still Bright to Me

"Xylazine," Deaton walks towards us as we all stand around his clinic, finalizing our plan to save this... girl. "It's a tranquilizer for horses. For a were-coyote, expect it to work within seconds. I only have three. So whoever's shooting needs to be a damn good shot."

"Allison's a perfect shot," Scott explains.

"She used to be," Isaac counters.

"She can do it," I say, trying to ease the tension

Isaac, on a mission to point out all negatives. adds, "If we manage to find the thing."

"Okay, what is the point of him?" Stiles asks, frustrated. "Seriously what is his purpose? Aside from the persistent negativity and the scarf? What's up with the scarf anyway? It's 65 degrees out."

I bump Stiles' shoulder with my own, reminding him that I don't like it when he's mean to Isaac. I mean, I get it, the pessimism is annoying, but I wish they would get along. Isaac's my friend, and Stiles is my— he's Stiles. After he realizes that this makes me uncomfortable, he seems to calm down a little.

"Look, maybe I'm asking a question no one here wants to ask," Isaac counters "How do we turn a coyote back into a girl, when she hasn't been a girl for eight years?"

"I can do it," Scott says softly.

"You can?" Stiles lifts his head up.

"You remember the night that Peter trapped us in the school?" Scott asks, referring to a night I don't remember, but Allison explained in extreme detail at one of our sleepovers. "In the gym, he was able to make me turn using just his voice. Deucalion did the same thing in the distillery."

"This is a werecoyote, Scott." Deaton points out. "Who knows if it will even work, if you can find someone to teach you."

"That's why you called Derek first," Stiles realizes.

"Yeah," Scott sighs "I can try it on my own. But right now, I'm too scared to even change into just a werewolf."

"We need a real Alpha," Stiles says, receiving another shoulder bump from me "You know what I mean. An Alpha who can do Alpha things. You know an Alpha who can get it going. You know, get it—"

"Up?" Isaac finishes.

"Ew," I scold.

"Great," Scott nods "I'm an Alpha with performance issues."

"Is there anyone besides Derek who could help?" Deaton asks.

"I wouldn't trust Peter." Isaac says.

"Maybe the twins?" Stiles offers.

"They're not Alphas anymore," Deaton counters "After what Jennifer did, almost killing them? It broke that part of them."

"Yeah, but what if they know how to do it?" Stiles continues.

"Nobody's seen them for weeks." Scott says.

"Well actually that's not totally true," Stiles admits.

***

"Wait, so you just let them beat him up?" I ask Stiles as we drive to meet up with the pack, much later in the day. Apparently that was the big plan. The twins would kick Scott's ass, he would wolf out, and then he'd know how to roar. And releasing that alpha roar, would give the coyote no choice but to turn back into a girl.

"Well," Stiles sighs "He could've fought back if he wanted to."

"I don't know," I scratch my head "What if something went wrong?"

"It didn't" Stiles counters, "Please don't be mad at me."

"I'm not," I assure him. "Although your decisions have been questionable lately."