A Secret Language I Can't Speak

It's been a few days since the whole swimming pool incident, and things haven't gotten much better. I think there's been four, maybe five, confirmed murders. From what I've overheard my mom saying, they all died in some really creepy and ancient way.

Despite all of this, Tessa and I are continuing to study all of Scott's odd behavioral quirks and googling what they could mean. I'm leaning towards gang member, but Tessa thinks something really eerie is happening to him.

We're video chatting as I curl my hair, killing two birds with one stone. "You know," Tessa starts "If we look outside of the box, there are some pretty creepy explanations for recent events."

"Hm," I really don't enjoy listening to her wild theories, but I don't have any better ideas.

"Do you think your brother could be committing human sacrifices?" She is completely serious.

"No, no, no," I brush her off "Let's not say that."

"Okay. Well, Bella, what do you think?" She calls me out.

"I don't know," I let out as she gives me a disappointed look "But, I have a new plan,"

"Which is?" She asks.

"Today, I'm going to spend some time with Lydia and/or Allison," I explain "Scott and Stiles aren't getting me anywhere, but I think I could get something out of them."

"Don't you hate Lydia?" She counters.

"No," I tell truthfully "I was just jealous, but I don't like Stiles anymore, so I have no reason to feel threatened by her."

"Okay, sure." She comments sarcastically.

"Plus," I announce "Girls support girls. I am not letting a man dictate my feelings towards her."

"Honestly, it's a good idea," She chimes "Just be careful, okay?"

"You have nothing to worry about," I assure her.

                                    ***

It was hard to get Allison's address, but here we are. I walk closer to the door when I make eye contact with Lydia. They're hopping in Allison's car. Maybe now isn't a good time.

I start to turn around when Allison calls "Bella?"

"Yes?" I cringe.

"What's up? Is everything alright?" She says like the only reason I would talk to her is if there was an emergency. She has a point. We've never had more than small talk.

"I just was gonna see if you wanted to hang out, but I can see that you're busy. Maybe some other day?" I rush.

"Um," She glances at her car, feeling stuck "We're actually going to Scott's cross-country meet. But you could come with us?"

I know she doesn't actually want me there, but this couldn't be a more perfect scenario. Oh, the things I'll learn when the whole squad is together. I mean, can they really keep their secret for hours? I'm betting they can't.

"I'd love to," I hop in the car with a grin, only feeling slightly bad for wrecking their plans. I shoot Tessa a quick text, updating her on my plans as Allison pulls out of the driveway.

***

"Don't you think we should turn around?" I ask the girls "I'd rather not get stuck in the middle a hurricane?"

"We don't live close enough to the ocean for a hurricane to affect us." Lydia scorns "Plus, we are too far north for a hurricane to form. Northern California's cool temperatures do not provide enough thermal energy to sustain a hurricane's strength."