Sit With You in the Trenches

(TW this chapter is part of the 'Motel California' episode and contains heavy topics like suicide. If you don't feel comfortable, please don't read. If you've already seen Teen Wolf, this won't add much to the plot. All important Stiles x Bella moments are in the previous chapter. Plot wise, this chapter is totally skip-able. Happy reading!)

I spend the next hour or so watching an old Disney movie on Netflix. While the motel is still a little scary, my comfort level has increased. I look at the time on my laptop. It's almost midnight, which seems like an appropriate time for me to go to bed.

Once I pause my movie I'm more aware of my surroundings. The movie drowned out the sound, but now that it's gone I can hear everything.

I can hear Danny and Ethan falling in love in the room next door. I can hear my phone vibrating against the wooden nightstand with inappropriate texts from Greenberg. But most importantly, I think I hear someone crying. Normally I would mind my own business, but it seems so familiar. It takes me a second to recognize that it's Scott. My brother is the one crying.

I walk over to my door quickly, but when I try to open it, it won't budge. I know that I locked it, but I'm pretty sure doors aren't supposed to lock from the inside. I wiggle the knob harder. I wasn't very gentle with Scott today. If he's upset, it's probably because of me.

No matter how hard I try, the door just won't open. I brush the curtains open and see Scott in the parking lot, pouring gasoline on the floor. I don't get it at first, not until he pours gasoline on himself. Then it makes sense, and my world falls out of orbit.

I feel my heart drop. I had no idea he felt like this. Stiles was right. I was too hard on him. Maybe if I just told him I loved him instead of interrogating him, he would understand that he is loved. I just assumed he knew, but I shouldn't have.

And the door won't open. Why won't it open? What are the odds? I take a closer look through my window and see some makeshift wooden plank blocking my door. Then I remember Stiles asking me to lock my door. What are the odds? I guess he didn't trust me to do it myself.

I grab my phone as fast as I can and start texting Stiles. My hands are shaking and it takes me longer than I would hope to start sending messages. But he doesn't answer. He's been so persistent all night, but now he won't answer. I don't have anyone else's number on the team.

Another message from Greenberg comes in. I don't really read it. It's something about wanting to watch Netflix and chill, but I don't care right now. The only thing that matters is Scott. Wait, Greenberg. I can't believe I didn't think of that before. It's not ideal, but if I can't get ahold of Stiles, it'll have to do.

But before I can hit send, I hear Allison's shaky voice "Scott."

Oh, thank God. I rush back over to the window. I don't want to see it, if things go bad, but I have to know. Stiles and Lydia are with her, pacing around Scott cautiously. That's when I notice Scott holding the flame.

I have to get out there. I try the door one more time, hoping the outcome will be different, but it's not. Stiles notices my attempt to open my door, and he looks at my room, but does nothing.

I don't understand. If anyone can help Scott it would be family, right? Maybe not. Maybe Stiles thinks it's better if I stay away from the whole situation. If I had stayed away to begin with would this even be happening?

"Scott," Allison says again.

"There's no hope," He tells her after a while, sending more and more daggers to my stomach.

"What do you mean Scott?" Allison asks "There's always hope."

"Not for me," He says "Not for Derek."