Epilogue.

All babies did was cry, Devlin decided with an annoying grunt. And eat, and shit, and fuss. He looked sideways and his girl as she bawled and sighed. Florence was doing all she could to satisfy her but it seemed she was insatiable. Her mouth was turned in a very unpleasant manner and her cries were high-pitched.

Pissed, he stood and approached Florence. "Let me see if I can help," He took her in his arms and made soothing noises but it fell on deaf ears. It was his ears that would soon become deaf.

"What do I do?" Florence said. "I need to head out with Charles. He'll be mad if we missed the movie. Will you be okay with her?"

"What? No." 

"Well, she's your kid."

"I didn't sign up for this when I said I wanted kids. If this is the package kids come with, I better get an irreversible vasectomy."

Florence rolled her eyes, picked up her bag, and waited for some minutes. Naomi started to quieten. "That's good. Keep going that way."

"I'm afraid to even breathe. It might upset her."

She laughed
"No, it won't. I'll be back in a few." And with that, she was gone.

The moment the door shut, Naomi resumed her bawl. Devlin groaned. He hugged her to himself and patted her back gently and sang lullabies whose lyrics he's been forced to learn. Anyone who knew him as the ruthless Mafia boss would laugh because he looked nothing like it, and he wasn't referring to the bags under his eyes or the wrinkles around his mouth due to sleepless nights. Who would have thought he'd leave playing boss to being bossed about by a human so tiny that a squeeze could eliminate?

The past five months had been that way. Taking care of the most precious humans in his life. His son and his daughter. Sarah and the kids were fine; she sent him pictures often and visited now and then. The last time she visited, she'd sheepishly told him that she'd started dating again and it was looking serious this time. Devlin had wholeheartedly congratulated her. He'd wished her nothing but happiness, just like he'd been lucky to have.

He barely heard the squeak of tires on the marble floor over Naomi's high-pitched screaming but his senses were still sharp enough to detect movements, so he turned around when he sensed one behind him. He beamed at the intruder.

"Your baby needs you." He said, only happy to be relieved of his duty.

Pamela smiled back and took the baby from him. "I heard you missed me?" She said to her and kissed her on the head, then proceeded to lift her top to breastfeed Naomi. Devlin knelt before her and helped her with it. Naomi greedily latched onto the nipple and suckled with the fast movement of her tiny lips.

By some miracle, Pamela had survived. She'd needed a series of surgeries, one that had caused Devlin sleepless nights and visits to a chapel, something he hadn't done in ages, and months of therapies. five months had passed but she wasn't strong enough to stand and so moved with the aid of a wheelchair. Thankfully, the shard of glass that had pierced her nerve had been successfully removed without damaging any part of her brain, though for weeks ahe hadn't been able to speak or move. It had been luck, and Devlin had started to believe since that incident, that there was a higher being up there that listened and cared.

Cody, in his guilt, had hunted down Fener and killed him and all his men. He'd come back with the news of their death four months earlier, in tears, and had knelt, begging for forgiveness. Devlin had understood and had forgiven him. Susan was fine, and so was Alex. Apart from the trauma of being kidnapped, nothing had happened to them. 

Cody had offered to close down the business while Devlin focused on Pamela and Naomi and he'd gladly accepted. Now, Cody had sold it for a huge chunk and the money was somewhere in an offshore account, accessible to just them both. Devlin had given him unlimited access but for some reason, Cody hadn't touched it. Devlin realized he still felt guilty and decided to give him time to heal.

"Nickel for your thoughts," Pamela said, smiling fondly at him.

"Isn't it penny?"

"Whatever. You're lost in thought and that worries me. Is everything fine?"

"Well, no."

She frowned. "What's wrong?"

He looked pointedly at Naomi and sighed dramatically "I'm afraid she'll take up everything. Naomi, I know you're a baby and you need it to survive but, save some for me!"

It took a second for Pamela to understand what he meant and when she did, she laughed out loud and leaned in for a kiss, just as her husband did the same.

~

THE END.