27 - Giant Watermelon

The tears couldn't stop.

It was like a river that was tilted and couldn't stop flowing. The sadness she felt made her heart heavy. Her mind was numb. Her whole life was crashing right before her.

Her baby boy had been taken.

When thoughts of the gruesome things that could happen to him while in the custody of the kidnappers, pain welled up in her heart and fresh tears filled her eyes. She sank to her knees and prayed, in between bitter tears and gurgled words.

Let my boy be safe, please God.

If Susan had known the day was going to end that way, she'd have done a lot of things differently. What exactly?

She'd woken up by six and had prepared Alex for school, taken him to school with the guard, Adam that Cody had made mandatory. She was a stay-at-home mom and so had spent the day reading and watching TV. When it was time to pick Alex, she'd gone with Adam again.

When she got to the school, Alex had thrown a tantrum about a play date he wanted with his friend to which she'd refused. Susan has been angry and had scolded him so much that he started crying aloud. She'd yelled at him to be quiet seconds before Adam screeched to a halt.

Susan looked up. "What's the matter?"

"We've been ambushed." He said quietly and five seconds later, yelled, "Get down!" And a hail of bullets rained on them.

Susan's first instinct was Alex. Cover Alex! She grabbed him, threw him to the floor of the car and covered him with her body. He was screaming his head off, scared too.

"Shh!" She whispered to him and as if sensing that the situation was dire, he fell silent and clung to her, shaking like a leaf. She clung back, vowing with all her might to protect her son, even if she died trying.

Her eyes were shut tight but she could hear Adam firing back. The exchange went on for one full minute before it fell silent. She waited for some time then carefully and fearfully took her phone from where it was on the seat. Cody's number was on speed dial.

He picked on the first ring with a tired, "Yes?"

"C-c-cody. We're under attack!"

"What do you mean? Susan?! Susan! Where are you?! Hello?!"

Susan wished she could answer him but she couldn't because two bulky men carrying big guns were walking towards the car. Their eyes locked with hers and her heart skipped. They were heading for her! She looked at Adam and saw that his head was on the stirring wheel, silent. Was he dead?

"Susan!"

She was jarred back to focus. "Our car was ambushed as we went to pick Alex from school." She could hear sounds of things clattering over the phone. Cody was probably getting dressed in a hurry. "They-they shot us and I think Adam is --" She screamed and dropped the phone in fright when Adam rose suddenly as the men approached and shot one in the gut. The second one shot Adam on the head. He fell back in the car and Susan screamed. She clutched Alex tighter to her chest with a death grip.

The back door was then yanked open and she looked up at the vicious man that towered before her. He had a burn scar that covered almost half of his face and it made him look evil and menacing.

He reached for Alex but she held on tight. "Leave my son!"

Alex, seeing he was about to be pulled by a scary man started to scream and cry. The man reached for his gun and aimed it at Susan's head.

"Let go!" He shouted.

"You'll have to kill me first!" She yelled back and meant every word.

He laughed sneeringly and slipped his gun into his waist band. "Nah. Someone has to take the message to the big guys. Tell them they messed with the wrong guys and so we're out for blood."