31 - Bucket Loads Of Money.

"I want a divorce."

Pamela had been full and overflowing with confidence when she left the house, still reeling from the startling discovery that she was with child but the moment she got to the hospital and saw the tiny little creature wrapped in swaddling white cloth, her confidence wavered.

She began to think that Devlin's absence had been worth it. That perhaps she had overreacted. She was convinced of it when she saw the look on Sarah's face. It was one that couldn't be put into words. It made Pamela's heart flutter because it meant that she might experience the feeling soon - if nothing went wrong. She watched Keely hug and kiss her little brother, watched how Art grinned from ear to ear.

Devlin, however, hadn't been at the hospital.

"Do you know where he went?" She asked.

"Business was what he said to me." Art replied.

Pamela hated that she kind of liked the fact that Devlin had prioritized business over staying with his new born. "Why didn't you stop him? That was inconsiderate."

Art chuckled. "Wild horses couldn't have stopped him."

Sarah clicked her tongue. "He's hopeless. I think his eyes got more shine to it when he was called for business than when he saw the baby."

Pamela smiled at her. "I'm sure that's not the case."

"Anyways," she looked up at Pamela. "thank you, Pamela. For everything. I know the circumstances aren't what it should be but -"

Pamela took Sarah's hand, interrupting her speech. "That's enough. It wasn't your fault in any way."

"I can't help but feel terrible. And it'll be worse if you take it out on Devlin."

She straightened and avoided further eye contact. "You should be resting. You went through surgery."

She snorted. "I didn't feel a thing asides from the stinging feel when I was injected with epidural. It felt like I was in a sort of a haze and my throat feels itchy but I feel fine." She smiled at Pamela.

Devlin entered just then. He walked straight to her and hugged her the moment he saw her. He didn't care that people were there.

"We need to talk." He said into her ears.

"Yes, we do." She whispered back, her heart pounding, her head telling her to change her mind and fall into his arms.

They decided to talk in the car. The short trip to the hospital parking lot seemed like eons. It felt like she was having a battle royal with her head and her heart. Her head wanted her to choose herself and the life growing inside her, but her head wanted to choose him, just as she had millions of times. The moment he shut the door, he reached for her and wrapped her in a hug. They stayed that way, until she said the words. Seemed her head won after all.

He went stiff, then withdrew slowly. "What?"

She wet her lips, wondering why they were suddenly dry, and said with conviction. "I want a divorce."

"Is this about Sarah?"

She turned away. "No."

"Please, let me explain."

He tried to reach for her but she shrank away and shouted. "It's not anybody! It's not anything! Putting the blame on a person doesn't solve the problem. I just...I just want to end this."

"End what? Our marriage? Please, I can explain everything. It's not what you think." His eyes filled with tears and they held anguish that gnawed at her heart but she shook her head and looked away.