Klaus

April 27, 2010

Louise sank to the floor, danger in hand and waited. It felt heavy in her hand and something about it drew her in, making her want to sink it back in Elijah's chest. But she couldn't. Not now. Not when she knew with conviction that Damon would put everyone she loved at risk if it meant saving her life.

"I don't mind being the bad guy. I'll make all the life and death decisions, while you're busy worrying about collateral damage. I'll even let Louise hate me for it...but at the end of the day I'll be the one to keep her safe."

She closed her eyes and sighed deeply as she replayed the words Damon told Stefan when he thought she was out of earshot. Louise felt the weight of how impossible Damon truly was. Even armed to the teeth with good intentions, he still managed to turn her world upside down, complicating it to the point that she didn't know which way to go or what to believe. In less than a day, Damon succeeded in annoying her, disarming her, brought her to her knees and then in the final stretch, pulled her out of every darkness she wanted to dissolve into.

But he was right and she counted on that. He will keep her alive, even when she didn't want to be saved. He would do anything to protect her, even if it meant pushing the limits of whatever it was they had. With Damon, there was no right or wrong but just the question of the lengths he would go to in order to protect her.

Louise clutched the dagger to her chest and her sister's voice drew her out of her thoughts.

"How long is it going to take?" Elena whispered nervously as she stood in the doorway as a look out for Stefan or Damon. Louise merely shrugged in response, twisting the dagger in-between her fingers.

Suddenly there was an extremely loud gasp from the floor, causing both of them, startled, to turn to see Elijah wiggling on the floor, desperate for air. Elena rushed over to him, trying to hush the awakening vampire as she bent down and calmed him.

"Elijah."

Elijah's eyes widened when he saw her. "Katerina!"

"Elijah!" Elena tried to calm him. "It's me, it's Elena."

"Oh, my God." His eyes stricken with fear. Startling the two brunettes in the room once again. Elijah abruptly rolled over on his stomach which cause Louise to stand quickly, dragging Elena up as well as they watched the original punch the floor of the cellar before he slow stood. They watched him warily as he gasped for air. "I can't-I can't breathe! What's happening to me?"

Elena shook her head, unable to think of an answer. "I-I don't know."

He rushed over near the door but slammed right into the doorway and toppled over. Louise moved forward to help him up. He continued to gasp for air. "I can't...I can't be in this house."

Louise's eyes widened with realisation. "You're not invited in."

"Then get me out of here."

Before she could help him, he slipped out her arms, racing towards another wall which he slammed against. Louise looked back at her sister in shock and Elena watched as Elijah fled up the stairs, causing both the girls to rush after him. For a moment, Louise's heart began to race as she realised she might've set the original on the loose, but luckily she found him knelt over waiting at the doorstep.

His gaze lifted to glare at the two brunettes. He made a move to lunge at them but froze at the threshold, unable to enter. "What happened-?"

"Shh!" Elena cut him off, tapping her ear then pointing upstairs indicating that the rest of the vampires in the house could hear. "We'll tell you. Not here. Can we trust you?"