"Not a cook. No." She said taking a sip of her tea.

"The man who came to the house, he was driving a posh car. He looks rich. What does he do?" He asked interest clearly laced within his tone of voice.

"He works with horses." She answered him.

"Really? I love horses. I've got a bay mare."

"No!"

"I ride it all the time."

"Then it's in the blood." They shared a smile and first of many moments as mother and son bonding over their love for horses.

"I've got about a million questions."

"So do I."

"I've had different pictures in my head." He confessed.

"Well, here I am. It's all right that it's me, isn't it?" Polly asked slightly anxious.

"I don't have any choice. I mean, you are who you are, aren't you? We don't choose. And that's it."

"Yeah, that's right. God gave you to me. People took you away. And it is all right that it's me, isn't it? In a place like this." Polly asked him, she needed to be sure her only living son was not ashamed of her.

"I thought it would be worse." He said making them both chuckle.

Just as they did the door burst open as Arthur and John ran in playing sherif with their loaded guns.

"Run for the hills! It's the Digbeth Kid!" John shouted.

"Get out of town, kid, or I will shoot your fucking head off!" John ran backwards near where both Polly and Micheal were now standing watching them.

"Time's up! You're dead, go down. John!" Arthur made a sound like a gunshot watching John who turned around ignoring his older brother and froze seeing Polly and a strange young boy standing next to her.

"All right then, Polly. Who's this?" John smirked u for his breath.

"Gentlemen, this is your cousin. Polly's son, Michael." Thomas looked up from lighting his cigarette and motioned to Michael who stood next to his mother.

"Pleased to meet you." The young boy smiled before offering his hand which John took and shook.

"John."

"I'm Arthur."

"You've already met me. I used to throw you out of the window, so John could catch you." Arthur sadi looking at Polly.

"I used to put you in a shoebox and kick you down Watery Lane." John added.

"I bet you're glad to be back." Thomas remarked smirking lightly under the shadow of his cap.

"I don't remember any of it. All I remember is the day they took me away." Micheal confessed.

"Well, you're here now, son. Welcome to the Shelby family." Thomas put his arm on Micheal shoulder and squeezed it.