CHAPTER 33 One Year Older

Comenzar desde el principio

"I don't know, mom. That seems as if it's not going to happen."

"Don't say that, sweetheart. It will happen but it will take time. I'm not going to keep you much longer on the phone. I'll see you later. Bye, my son. I love you."

"Bye, mom. I love you too."

He put his cell phone inside his shirt pocket and tucked his gun in the waist of his pants. He wished that things had worked out with Felicia and he could've spent his birthday with her. Some things were just not meant to last. He thought to himself as he closed his bedroom door.

***

"Happy birthday, my brother. You're the man." Joel said to Alejandro as he entered his office. 

"Thanks, bro." They dapped up each other.

"So, Felicia visited you the other night?"

"Yes, she came to say hi." He replied to Joel.

He was wondering how the hell Joel knew that and he never said anything to him.

"So, she just came, say hi, and left?" Joel asked him.

"Yes, she did. Mom always wants to have dinner with me on my birthday. You know I wanted to hang out at the trap later." Alejandro changed the subject.

Joel smiled and shook his head because he knew Alejandro was lying.

"You know that's how aunt Ingrid is, man. Apple's friend Samantha has been asking about you. Apple told her that you're single and ready to mingle."

"The same chick that I met at the club last night?" He asked Joel. 

"Yes, bro. You can give her a chance and see how it goes, man."

"That woman is looking for commitment and I'm not. She wants to get married and have kids. Only one woman I've ever met since Nicki died that I wanted to marry and have kids with and it blew up in my face. I'm done with that." He said to Joel with a serious expression on his face. 

Joel nodded his head at him and said, "Tell her that you're not interested in any form of commitment. She looks fine if you ask me."

"Yes, she looks good." Alejandro agreed. 

"Both of you can exchange numbers whenever you meet again," Joel suggested to him. 

"I'll see, man." He didn't even know what he wanted these days. He wasn't looking for anyone to settle down with again. He wouldn't tell his mom that because he knew she wouldn't like it. 

***

Alejandro wondered why his house was in complete darkness. He entered the hallway and walked toward the living room. Just as he opened the door, he saw the lights coming on and he heard everyone shout in unison: "happy birthday!!" 

He felt happy and he couldn't believe that his mom had planned all this for him. All his staff was there. Joel, Shawn, and the others. He saw Joel's fiance, Apple, and her friend Samantha. 

"Happy birthday my son. I hope that you'll live to see many more." Ingrid said and hugged him.

"Thanks, mom. Did you plan all this? You didn't have to go through so much trouble."

"Yes, I did with the help of Gloria, Joel, and Shawn. You deserved it. I know that you've always been lonely and unhappy on your birthdays. I wanted to change it this time around for you."

"Thanks, mom."

"You're welcome, sweetheart. Did you hear from Isabel?"

"Yes, mom." He replied to her. "She was the first person that called me today. She said that she wanted to come here on Friday but she had to be in court."