16

Even though seeing you feels like being waterboarded, Jeongguk still goes to meet you at that café. Because you're counting on him, and you're always so happy to see him. But it doesn't lighten his burdened steps.

His name is Namjoon.

He works a lot, is some kind of big-shot economy person, just like Jeongguk could've been. But he's not. You don't speak very much about your fiancé, probably sensing the way Jeongguk would rather cut his arm off than hear much more about him.

Once again, he's too preoccupied with feeling sad for himself. He had his chance with you, one he should've never been allowed in the first place, and he fucked it up.  Like he always does. Now, you're finally getting what you deserve, true happiness, but Jeongguk can't set aside his own feelings. Asshole.

Five times spread out over two weeks, he meets you at the café, talking about literally anything else than your fiancé. You sit beside Jeongguk in the booth, and he shows you some of the pictures he's taken over the years. Like always, you give him your undivided attention, asking him questions and gushing over how talented he is, even pleading for him to teach you how to use 'one of those cameras with ten thousand buttons.'

And for a few moments at a time, he forgets everything that's hurting him, he forgets all about Namjoon, and the bet, and how he's lost himself. He forgets the ominous red-numbered timer that's floating above your head, ticking down the seconds until he's supposed to see you tie the knot to somebody else through the lens of his expensive camera. Because you're there, laughing at a joke he barely musters the confidence to utter, and he feels warm when you look at him.

After finding out about your engagement, Jeongguk ceases to watch your window, scared of what he might witness. Or who.

"So, yeah, uh, I haven't finished unpacking everything yet..." Jeongguk excuses as he unlocks his door, approximately three weeks after first stumbling across you, and lets you in. His apartment is just a mirrored version of yours, although everything in yours is neatly placed where it belongs, and Jeongguk hasn't had the time, or energy, to unpack and organize.