Chapter 1 - Potions

September 1993

After breakfast, Jolie Carrow and Pansy Parkinson took their seats next to each other in Professor Snape's Potions lesson. 

It was the first day of Jolie's fourth year, Pansy's third. The two witches were taking the course with the Fifth Years, making them "advanced students". 

Pansy had to practically beg their Head of House for a spot in the class. Had she not been a Slytherin, there was no way Professor Snape would have granted her admittance. Eventually, though, he seemed to conclude that she would do well in the course. 

The two friends decided to sit at the table nearest the door; a quick path to their seats upon their arrival, and a quick exit when lesson dismissed. They figured, here, they would be able to focus, talk at times, and get by in the class without any issues. 

Jolie removed her ink, quill, and parchment from her bag, preparing for notes and homework on the first day, per Snape's normal standard. 

All was well.

She listened distractedly as Pansy gabbled on about her mother and father finding some pureblood sap to court her in her following years before their Hogwarts graduation. 

Between her friend's rambling, Jolie had to remind herself to borrow a school owl to send a letter to her parents, thanking them for not giving into the outdated notions of Pureblood Aristocracy.

Despite being of pureblood heritage and a part of the Sacred Twenty-Eight, Jolie's father, Felix Carrow, the oldest of the three Carrow siblings, was not one to teach his family to spread lies, hatred, and filthy slurs about notions of which wizards and witches could not change. 

Her father was not anything like the rest of his family. Jolie's aunt and uncle, twins Amycus and Alecto, were deep into Pureblood ideals—being avid followers of Voldemort during his brief time in power throughout the first wizarding war. But, defying his mother, father, and siblings, Felix went on to pursue a job in Curse-breaking. 

He traveled the world during his studies. At the age of twenty, interning for a freelance job in Provence, France, Felix met Jolie's mother. Amélie Carrow née Dubois was a beautiful pureblood part-Veela witch. They fell in love in the few months he was there, and, as Felix returned to Britain, he kept in touch with Amélie. Eventually, traveling back to Provence to propose. 

In France, the ideals of 'blood' were much different than in Britain. What mattered most was keeping the wizarding population from dwindling. No one cared about purity. And that's why Felix was so enamoured with Amélie.

To Jolie's family, idiocy is what it all was: blood supremacy. Her family would not be one to force her to be courted and married by the time her magical trace was to be removed, per usual pureblood customs. 

Evidently, though, Pansy's parents were not so progressive. As she was an only child, and a girl, they wanted her married off as soon as possible.

The idea of being betrothed while still in school boggled Jolie's mind. Let alone getting married just after graduating. 

Jolie had too many plans to embrace that idea.

Once graduated, she would have to work her free time as a philanthropist, per international pureblood standards, while also working her way up to a head of research position at St. Mungo's—which would take approximately 5-8 years starting from the bottom of the food chain.

After snagging that title, she would then focus on subjects in her field of work that would benefit others and interested her the most. It would be a long process.