18. Commitment

Song of chapter: Real Love by Jesse Glynn

My eyes snap open, pulling me out of the depths of sleep. Heat washes over me, and I realize that I am sweating. My shirt is soaking wet, and my forehead and arms are beaded with sweat. I stand up and make my way to the bathroom. I see a lamp lighten right next to the couch. I feel dazed, and I have no idea why I woke up on a couch. Instead of going to the bathroom, my body leads me to the kitchen, where I check the time. I see the bright green letters of the digital clock, staring back at me. The time is 3:34 am. I rub my tired eyes, and let my feet lead me. I end up in front of Sienna's bedroom, and see blue light streaming out from under the door. I don't know what came over me, but I brought my hand up to the cold knob, and turned it to the right. I silently push the door open, and creep into the room. I see Sienna sleeping on her side wrapped in sheets with a sleeping mask over her eyes. My eyes travel to the other side of the bed, where Dylan was sitting up straight, hypnotized by the tv. I started to close the door when I heard Dylan call my name. I once again push the door open.

"Yes?" He patted an empty spot between him and Sienna.

"Sit."

I walked into the room, the air conditioning hitting my bare arms, it felt so refreshing. I sat down in between Dylan and Sienna, and focused my eyes in the tv. Dylan was watching American Horror Story. So appropriate to watch at 3 am.

"I don't understand you sometimes..." I said.

"I know. Not many people do," he replied. My lips curled into a smile. I heard the sheets rustling, and I turned my head to see a sleepy Sienna.

"What's going on?" She asked rubbing her eyes.
"Just watching tv." I said casually. I haven't felt this... what's the word? Happy? Ecstatic? Enjoyable? In a very long time.
"Join us," Dylan motioned over to the tv.
Sienna looked at the tv through squinted eyes. She rolled her eyes in annoyance.
"Why the hell not?" A smile broke out on my face. I rested my back against the headrest as I watched the horror display on the tv screen. I felt like we were a family. I appreciated how nice and supportive they have been to me after the month of laying in bed crying about my sister's death, the solemn funeral which I had almost missed, especially because my brother was there, and my recent breakup.

I watch the sand slip through my finger tips and fall onto the rocks below me. A sunny day on a private beach in L.A. What more is there to ask for? I rest my sunglasses on the bridge of my nose, as salt water that hits the rocks, and sprinkles over me. I've always felt at home when I'm at the beach.

"Kiara!" I hear Dylan's voice calling me. I look back at him. I see him on top of a small rock, attempting to climb the next one, to get to me. His hand is shielding his eyes from the blazing sun.

"How may I help you?"

"Come down here."

"Okay..." I hop off of the rock I was sitting on, and climbed down the narrow passage of giant stones, with ease.

"Geez, how do you do that? It takes me like 3 minutes to climb each rock."

I smile and say, "practice makes perfect."

We reach the shore and I see Sienna and Jennifer on the sand, talking and tanning.
The cold water hits my feet tickling my toes. I reach down and pick up some of the foam, just to watch it slip through my fingers. This reminded me of my first date with Logan. Pain finds a way to torment me once again as tears line my eyes. But I won't cry this time.

"Kiara?" I hear Sienna's voice echo behind me.

My eyes dart around to catch a glimpse of my surroundings, realizing that I have spaced out once again. I see that waves are lapping against my bare chest. Being chest deep in the Pacific Ocean in February is never a good thing. Even if it is Los Angeles. Chills travel through me, as I immediately realize the delayed reaction I had to the freezing water. I try to turn around but I can't, my body is frozen in place. How long have I been in the water?