Chapter 22: Mate Coloured Glasses

Start from the beginning

Arthur was the saving grace of the meal as far as I was concerned.  He managed to get both my mother and sister talking with his easy grace.  Arthur's mother began speaking to my mother of her charity projects and then everything moved along quite smoothly from there.

The day could have been considered a success, except that I still had the dreaded welcoming celebration hurdle to jump.

<<< << < > >> >>>

I got ready for the welcoming celebration in my room, to the tune of Kayla's chatter and my sister's new attempt at having a positive attitude.  Velda was present and being supremely helpful.

I was surprised when I heard Arthur's voice in my head.  <Serenity is begging to be able to spend time with you before the celebration for moral support.  I'll refuse if you don't want her.>

I chewed my lip nervously.  <Okay, I'll come out and get her.>

Cautiously, I pushed open the door to my room and peered out to see Serenity looking hopefully towards me, those pixie eyes begging me with hope.

I kept my groan inside.  "You can come in," I told her.

Serenity barely repressed a shriek of delight.  She gathered herself and made her way in with some pretense of dignity.

Perhaps it was good that Kayla and Serenity were going to meet before the party, just in case it caused a calamity.

I need not have worried.  Their instant reaction to each other made me question if mate bonds were the only bonds that formed at first sight.

The two began talking so fast I could barely keep up with their conversation.  Velda was helping my sister with her hair at my dressing table and they both seemed to be oblivious to the Kayla/Serenity violent chemical reaction.

I hoped that they would wear each other out a bit.  Then poor Brandon and Rory might have a slightly more peaceful night.  A girl could hope, I thought as I retreated into my walk in closet and got into my dress.

"I can't wait for you to meet Brandon," Serenity said.  "He'll of course be escorting me tonight.  We were fighting, since I accidentally interrupted Prince Arthur's and Lady Anne's date the other night because I was so excited to meet her. But we've made up since."

"Was she what you were expecting?" Kayla asked.

<Kayla,> I protested.

<What?  I'm curious.  And so are you.>

Serenity smiled at me. "Sort of, in temperament, although the way the media kept describing you made me believe you were on the plain side.  I shouldn't have believed that nonsense, you are a werewolf after all."

"Thanks," I said.

"By the by, that dress you're in tonight is amazing.  Prince Arthur won't be able to take his eyes off of you."

"Thank you," I said.  I definitely liked the sound of that.

I glanced in the full length mirror and appreciated the garment.  I did like it, it was long and sweeping and started in a dark shade of grey at the top and gradually swept into a translucent light shade by the time it reached the bottom.  I smiled at the dress since it was sort of like the royal clothier had read my mind and discovered exactly what I would like.

Maybe all the swatch torture had been for a good reason.

We all looked good, if I did say so myself.  I was satisfied with my own appearance, Kayla looked charming in her red dress, my sister was in a deep gold that complimented her colouring and Serenity looked fabulous in lilac, although I suspected my new fairy-like friend would look good by the light of a raging dumpster fire or posing with mangy rats.