Chapter 19: Shared Hallucinations

Start from the beginning

<<< << < > >> >>>

I had enjoyed my time with Arthur, but having Kayla and Rory with me made everything that much better. Going with Kayla to her fitting was a lot more fun than being poked and prodded myself. She was genuinely excited about everything related to the palace and I could not help but be swept along in her optimistic buoyancy.

The guys were off getting Rory something to wear.

Having Arthur with me and my best friends was possibly the best thing I had experienced, since he seemed to mesh seamlessly into the group.

As children, Kayla, Rory and I had gotten along well, rarely fighting. Kayla, for all her unending energy, was extremely good natured, while it was almost impossible to make Rory angry. Kayla just laughed at me when I was morose and Rory acknowledged and assisted with problems.

We were fifteen when they figured out that they were mates. Rory came to the realization faster than Kayla did, but he did not say a word for months and I only found out he knew when Kayla did.

Kayla took longer, but the moment that she realized the knowledge for the rest of the town and then the pack quickly followed. It was always celebrated when two mates found each other.

None of our families and friends were particularly surprised. People always speculate about children who were very close and my friends and I were no exception.

I was not surprised either, I would have been more shocked if it turned out the two had not been designed for each other.

While I had been genuinely incredibly happy for them, I had also secretly felt a bit out of place. It was not that they tried to be excruciatingly adorable, in fact I think they actively tried not to leave me out as much as possible, but things had changed. Rory was a planet and Kayla a moon hurtling around it and I was simply a comet that occasionally got caught in their gravity.

I was not flying around the paired up universe solo any longer, because I had finally found my own permanent orbit.

Kayla came out from behind the curtains for the third time in about the tenth dress she had been given to try on.

"Oooh! I love this one too," Kayla said, twirling around. "They're all too great. This clothier lady is amazing! There's too many decisions, how I will I ever decide?"

"I like the pink one or the grey one or the red one," I said quickly. I had been keeping track because I knew the question was coming and offering my opinion would speed up the process.

"Of course you liked the grey one."

I shrugged. "It looked good on you."

I could practically see the furious thinking going behind her eyes. "Which one do you think Rory will like best?"

"The red one."

"That's the one, then," she said, her words reverberating with sheer excitement.

She disappeared behind the curtains and re-emerged in her own clothing.

We found them outside the room.

"Were you waiting long?" I asked them.

"Nah," Rory said as Kayla bounded over to him.

Arthur smiled. <Rory seemed to consider it a reasonable amount of time.>

<Kayla had to make decisions and that's never a quick process,> I explained as I took his outstretched hand. I saw Kayla grin with delight at our action and I barely felt my embarrassment under the pleasure I gained from my contact with him. Why did the feel of his hand send electricity sparking throughout my nerves?