|Chapter Twenty-Seven : The Crow|

Start from the beginning

As the reverie comes to an end, I'm done bathing. As I dress myself in the grey tulle off-shoulder gown Narcissa had picked up for me, I let out an annoyed groan as the fabric creates an itchy sensation on my skin.

I couldn't understand Narcissa's obsession with flashy clothing. Who in their right mind would prefer to wear such clothing on a daily basis? I'd ditch this for my royal guard uniform any day.

Once I'm finally dressed, I don't bother to let the maids style my hair. Instead, I run a brush through the brownish-blonde strands and leave it as it is.

Pulling on the pair of stilletos waiting on the floor, I walk out of the room and into the large hallways.

Unlike the dark-brown victorian theme the Raverian castle adorned, the castle of Lycor was all white with marble and gold embellished floors and walls. Lycor is said to be one of the most beautiful kingdom out of all the others and now when I'd lived here for over a month, I could see why.

I push open the door to the meeting room once I'm front of it and let myself in. I expect to find the others waiting as usual but this time, none of them are present.

Instead, there's a man dressed in crisp black tuxedo waiting inside. His charcoal eyes are focused on the chess board in front of him as he moves a piece. As if sensing my presence, those black orbs move up. A smile stretches onto his lips as his eyes access me.

"Kaitlyn," He says in a deep baritone voice, the smile widening.

Something about the smile is deathly unnerving. I can't exactly point out why but I have a feeling that I've seen him before. Although I could swear I haven't.

"I think I'm in the wrong room. I'll be leaving." I retort with a small smile of my own but before I could get out of there, I feel a gush of air and the next thing I know the man is standing in front of me.

"Kaitlyn, come in." His voice takes an inhumane tone, the kind of tone Valerian has when he's compulsing and despite the rational decision, I find myself obliging.

"Sit." The man gestures towards the chair adjacent to his on the other side of the twenty-seater white wood table.

I take a seat silently not having a clue why I'm listening to him when I don't want to.

With the ever-present smile still on his face, he takes a seat himself. Planting his elbows on the table below, he rests his chin on the flat surface of his outstretched palms.

"You're much more beautiful when you're awake." The eerie smile widens while I try to maintain a straight face.

Awake? What does he mean by that? Could he be the one. . .

"Were you the one visiting my room while I slept?" My eyes snap to the man's charcoal ones.

"Was I?" He chuckles, "I'm Keith, by the way."

I ignore his outstretched hand. Something about him doesn't feel right to me and I can't even explain why. It's like a strong gut feeling that he's upto no good. Him dodging my question is more proof I need.

"Shake hands with me, Kaitlyn." The man says in that chilly tone again.

Just like the last time, I do as he says against my will. Extending my hand to give his cold ones a firm shake. I try to pull away my hand but he doesn't let go. Instead, he grabs it and brings it to his lips. My insides flare as he drops a kiss to my wrist.

Calm down, Kate. Calm down. You want information from him. He's most likely the supposed leader Narcissa had accidentally revealed about. Take advantage of this situation and then you can show him his place.