"You're lying. Just like you always do, because you're a traitor and a liar." He sneers, advancing threateningly. It extinguishes the fire that was blooming inside of me instantly, ice cold fear dousing my whole body as I freeze, wide eyes following his every move. 

"I'm not lying, I promise!" I defend quickly. I can feel my heart thumping erratically in my head, pounding a steady thump thump thump in my ears, almost drowning out everything else. 

"Why would I believe you?" He snarls. Whatever I was going to respond cuts off with a squeak, fear gripping my windpipe with an iron clad grip, tightening more and more as my heartbeat thumps louder and louder and louder, and suddenly I can feel hands on my wrists and no that's not real, its not real, it's not real.

Panic is crashing down on me like a tsunami, and I can't fucking breathe, water filling my mouth, my nose, my lungs.

I don't even register the sting in my thighs as my nails dig deep, breaking through the skin, as I try and keep my grip on reality. I know what it feels like to slip. I'd rather die. 

Short shallow breaths. 

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

Finger marks on thighs.

Sharp sting. Dull ache. 

Shaking like a leaf. 

Bounce leg. Hands tremble. Lip quiver. 

Heart pounding. 

Thump thump thump thump thump.

"-g with you?"

I open my eyes, fear leeching from my system as my heart returns to my chest, pressure lessening on my chest and throat. I unclamp my stiffened hands from my skin, hissing slightly as my nails leave dipped in cherry red. 

I keep staring at the smooth patch on the rock, speckled black and grey marbling itself right before my eyes. 

"Rosemary!" Fundy snaps sharply, clicking his fingers in front of my face. I jerk back instantly, almost tumbling into the pond, a spike of terror shooting through me as I realise how close he is.

All of the sudden I realise how much I want to get out of here. 

I spring up, hurriedly swiping my tears with the back of my hand. I leap down from my rock and start walking away from him, trying to put as much distance as possible between us. He follows along next to me, and every nerve in my body is stretched to snap. Then he puts his hand on my shoulder. 

I bolt, like every cell in my body was just electrified, the forest passes in a haze of deep green and yellows, whirring past me in a flash of tree trunks and sunlight. I don't stop running even as I break through the forests edge, and burst out onto the open plains of L'manburg. I don't stop until I collide directly with something very solid. 

The thing tumbles over in a storm of swear words, as I collapse on top of him. 

"Rosie?" Sapnap asks in a strangled voice, lying splayed out underneath me. I groan as I roll onto my back, trying to get air back into my burning lungs. 

"Sapnap." I manage to say, in between heaving breaths. "Oh thank god." 

"Rose!" Dream's voice reaches us, and he kneels down next to my head. "Are you ok?" 

I can't even manage to get an answer out, still gulping in air like I'd just been drowned. 

"What the hell were you doing?" He exclaims. My hip throbs, but thankfully, aside from Sapnap's elbow in my gut and the whole hip-ground collision, I think I escaped the fall relatively unscathed. The fact that it's Dream here doesn't even register, overridden by sheer relief to be away from Fundy.